ADVERTISEMENT

He Hoops. And Hunts...

Login to view embedded media
Morning all. With the basketball season fast approaching, Conrad won't have time to make it home to deer hunt. He's new to it, but like his Dad, he's hooked.

I was wondering if anyone in this group lives close to Ames and would allow a young Cyclone to rifle hunt for probably no more than one or two days this year?

From the Instagram pic, you can clearly see he isn't out there to shoot a giant! Just an opportunity to tag a buck.

Thanks so much.

- Conrad's Dad

ESPN+ replaces Bally Sports in broadcasting Oklahoma athletics

ESPN+ replaces Bally Sports in broadcasting Oklahoma athletics

How did I miss this news? I was surprised a few days ago to discover the road volleyball game at Oklahoma was on ESPN+. I had written it off, just like anything on the road in Austin since I don't have the Longhorn Network.

The Oklahoma volleyball game was on the ESPN+ platform and I'm glad it was as we came back to take the match after a slow start. I had to Google to figure out what was going on. I've linked one of the articles of many. This new deal with Oklahoma started in August.

How are players feeling?

Dekkers - Another pick in end zone. Fumble to end the game.

Xavier - Two drops two weeks in a row in the last series while driving to win games.

Jace - Another missed FG that cost us OT, or the game.

Noel - Multiple drops in a row.

Entire D - putting us in a position to win but the O can’t come through, again.

All had great moments (but Jace) but just can’t come through in the clutch. I can’t sleep thinking about some of these plays, can’t imagine how frustrated they are.

FOOTBALL RELEASE: Downing, McDonald on Midseason Lombardi Watch List

Iowa State Media Relations

AMES, Iowa – Iowa State linemen Trevor Downing and Will McDonald IV have been named to the Rotary Lombardi Award 2022 Watch List’s midseason update.

Downing, a Creston, Iowa, native, has made 20 consecutive starts on the Cyclone offensive line. The redshirt senior has started at center the last eight games for the offensive unit. Downing is a two-time All-Big 12 performer.

McDonald, a redshirt senior from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, continues to climb toward the Big 12 record for career sacks. The defensive end has 3.5 sacks this season and 32.5 in his career, which ranks third all-time behind only Von Miller (Texas A&M) and the record-holder Aaron Hunt (Texas Tech), who had 33.0 and 34.0, respectively.

McDonald has 18 tackles this season, including 4.5 for a loss. He also has a fumble recovery and two pass breakups.

The Cyclones return to action Saturday, Oct. 29 when they play host to Oklahoma at MidAmerican Energy Field at Jack Trice Stadium at 11 a.m. Tickets are still available for the game.

6.5 years of Offense

Our staff has 6.5 years here. Some things we can say with pretty reasonable accuracy.
  • The staff has been good a developing adequate to real good QB play. (Kempt, Purdy). Dekkers is getting there.
  • Our line has been consistently average, decent at pass blocking, not so decent at run blocking.
  • The staff identifies RB talent. That talent (Montgomery, Hall) made the OLine look better than it was. Injuries prevent full evaluation of this years RBs, although durability is less than first 6 years. We will see.
  • TE evolved and has stepped back this year but no where near to where it was left by Rhoads.
  • WR is an enigma, for me. Lazard and Butler were very good but plagued by a few inopportune drops. Hutch is in that mold. Noel is moving there. What we have not had is raw speed in a receiver. And Jones and Milton couldn't stay healthy.
  • Turnovers have been higher than you would like in the passing game but ball security has been good in the non-qb running game. And we don't throw a high number of TD passes.
  • Not sure what any of this means, if anything.

Some thoughts - somewhat calmed down

First, bad calls and team mistakes do exist in the same game. And did, in this game.

Our redzone was the difference. They were 4-4, for 24 pts. We were 2-3 for 14 pts and a turnover.

That turnover and the follow up horrible roughing call ultimately decided the game.

A blocked punt and a missed FG was a Special Teams contribution to our failure. BUT, they returned the favor by also missing a FG and the worst punting game I can remember at Texas.

I actually thought OCTM called a good game given our horrible running game. We were in position for 17 more points but player turnovers, drops and a missed FG negated it.

We were awfully young in the secondary and at LB. Played hard, mostly well, but made mistakes.

I assume we use 2 in punt protection instead of 3 to get one more into coverage. Might want to reconsider that.

Texas has some stud running backs.

They also have offensive linemen who know how to hold.

Their DT'S are men.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT