ADVERTISEMENT

Thought I recognized this guy

40 years coaching. Got a kick out of his wife on whether he should retire or not.

Wasn't Seth Littrel a hot name during our last coaching search?
Reactions: fairviewfarmer

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Just had a nice visit with this 2023 commit

Login to view embedded media
I recapped the US Army All-American Bowl with Abu tonight. He talked about the game he played at cornerback, then added something to the effect of “it was probably my last game playing defense”. Sounds like Iowa State is going to put him at RB, KR & PR to begin his career. I think it’s a very wise move.

A little assistant coaching nugget

I dont want to give any names, but was told of an OL coach interviewing this weekend. Small school with no known ties to Campbell that I could find. OC and co-OC at current school. Was told the UNI coach hasn't been ruled out but seems like a strange interview of that's the case. I will share more information if/when it becomes more common knowledge.

***Iowa State vs. Western Michigan Game Thread***

The Cyclones and Broncos tip off today at Noon inside Hilton Coliseum. The game will be carried by ESPN+. Tre King will of course be making his Iowa State debut. It’s also an absolute pleasure to welcome @Herdcyclones back to the Cyclone Report fill-in role he enjoyed pre-Covid. He will be in the arena providing court-side updates in the thread below.

***WBB Vs Villanova @ 2:30 on ESPN***

The No. 14 Iowa State Cyclones have a ton of talent and are really hoping this is the year they make it back to the Elite Eight for the first time since 2009. Ashley Joens is back for her fifth year and is leading the team with 19.6 points per game to go along with 9.1 rebounds. Emily Ryan is once again near the top of the nation in distributing to go along with 12.3 points per game on 42.9 percent shooting from beyond the arc. Lexi Donarski’s scoring and efficiency are down, but she’s averaging a career-best 3.9 assists per game and we all know she’s got the talent to get back on track in those other areas. Then there’s the newcomer who could make the difference this year and that’s Stephanie Soares, a 6-foot-6 center who can stretch the floor. She’s averaging 16 points, 9.1 boards and 3.3 blocks.

So the Cyclones have all the pieces and for the most part, those pieces are putting up their typical stellar numbers. The preseason No. 8 team is still in the Top 15, has a solid 7-2 record and remains the highest-ranked team in the Big 12, a conference that it is favored to win now that Texas has struggled.

But Iowa State has yet to pick up a ranked win; its most impressive victory remains its 99-76 triumph over now-receiving votes Columbia on Nov. 20. It missed out on an opportunity to defeat a ranked rival when it lost to now-No. 12 Iowa 70-57 on Dec. 7. Now, it the opportunity to erase that memory when it faces another ranked opponent in the No. 25 Villanova Wildcats on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. ET (ESPN). The game is part of the Invesco QQQ Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase and will be played at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut.

The Wildcats are also looking for their first win against a team that is currently ranked; they defeated then-No. 24 Princeton on Nov. 11. The Tigers are no longer receiving votes. In their two games against currently ranked teams, the Wildcats lost 75-70 to No. 18 Baylor and 67-46 to No. 16 Creighton. The Creighton loss was on Dec. 2, so like Iowa State’s loss to Iowa, it wasn’t too long ago. Villanova has won three blowouts since; the Cyclones have won one blowout since Dec. 7. Both teams will be hungry to pick up a signature win.

The Chop House Downtown (Cedar Rapids)

Went there for the first time the other day. Very favorably impressed. Similar to -- and just a block or two away from -- Black Sheep Social Club. Lots of beers on tap. It's more of a sports bar than Black Sheep, though, with a number of screens. Pretty big place.

Mrs. LC had the rack of lamb and I had the flatiron steak. Both were very good, as were the sides (potatoes lyonnaise for both of us, grilled asparagus for Mrs. LC and sauteed spinach for moi).

Will definitely be going back. They had a couple of pasta dishes that sounded very interesting, but we figured that in our first visit to a place called the Chop House, we ought to eat red meat.

BTW, the meat on the menu is all "market price," a reflection of what's happening in the world. My 10-oz. flatiron was $26 and her rack of lamb was $35. Not out of line.

can someone explain the school classification in football based on % of free meals proposal?

Saw the State of Iowa is going to downgrade schools in football based on the % of reduced cost meals. What exactly is the problem they are trying to solve, and how does this actually solve the problem? Seems like big schools will end up in lower classes and dominate. Bad enough that Marion has to put up with CR Washington and Xavier in the same class, we don't need more big schools sneaking in.

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ***Ngoyi provides update on his Iowa State commitment status***

Login to view embedded media
With a new coaching staff on board in his home town, it only made sense that Lincoln (Neb.) wide receiver Beni Ngoyi would get some late interest from the new leader of the Huskers' program Matt Rhule.

That was indeed the case for the 6-foot-4, 188-pound senior, who reported that Nebraska was in recently and is trying to flip him from his Cyclone commitment.

Did they make any headway, Ngoyi was asked.

"The new Nebraska staff came in last week to check me out and meet with them," said Ngoyi. "They were good people but i feel like Iowa State is home still."

A three-star prospect with a 5.6 Rivals rating, Ngoyi was, surprisingly, lightly-recruited by the former staff in Lincoln led by Scott Frost. The Huskers still offered, but didn't seem to make him a priority. In addition to ISU and Nebraska, he compiled a Power-5 offer list that included the likes of Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Washington.

He is one of three wide receivers in Iowa State's class, along with Florida native Michael Parkes and local product Kai Black.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT