ADVERTISEMENT

Today Is The First Day Of The New Big 12

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
Gone are Texas and Oklahoma. I think Texas will be fine, but I'm not sure Oklahoma will over the long haul. How the SEC gets along with Texas will be interesting to watch, especially if they ascend to the top.

We also welcome Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah to the Big 12 today.

I'm not sure anybody really likes what's going with long time rivalries ending and the end of regional conferences. But it's the cards we are dealt and we should embrace it and enjoy it. I don't think it will be sustainable long term. As soon as the big market teams in the SEC and Big Ten decide they are done sharing their bounty with the small market teams, things will likely change again. Or the quickly changing media delivery technology may change the power structure in ways we probably can't anticipate. As streaming of games becomes the norm, does linear TV lose some of it's built in advantage? Will the revenue from college sports continue to be there and to grow, or are their best days behind us. What happens to the NCAA in the future?

So enjoy this while it lasts. And look at it as a big opportunity for Iowa State to be a major power in the league. Something that has been very difficult throughout our history. This is a time that is critical for Iowa State to establish itself for whatever comes next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News