ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING I-State Now Tops with Tucker

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A three-star cornerback with multiple Power-5 offers took his official visit to Iowa State over the weekend and came away with a new leader in his recruitment.

Ocala (Fla.) Vanguard senior OJ Tucker said a number of things stood out about the Cyclone program, enough so that he has a new top school.

“It was a great visit and I really love the coaching staff,” said Tucker. “I enjoyed talking to all of the coaches and I can tell they really care about the players. I also really enjoyed talking to the academic advisors and seeing the facilities and just seeing how everything is.

“My top three right now is Iowa State, FAU and Wake Forest. ISU is at the top because of the loyalty of the coaching staff and the importance that’s placed on academics.”

The 6-foot-0, 190-pound Tucker said he also likes the opportunities that are there on his side of the ball and how I-State uses its defensive backs.

“The position meetings were good and Coach (D.K.) McDonald showed me how I fit into the system as a cornerback. They play a lot of coverages and I really like that. I think I’m a perfect fit.”

Tucker was hosted by freshman defensive back Jatairis Grant.

“He told me he really likes how loyal the staff is towards their players,” Tucker said.

The weekend wrapped up with Tucker having breakfast at Matt Campbell’s house, where the recruit and head coach leveled with each other on where they’re at in the process.

“He was telling me that I’m a top priority to them,” Tucker said. “If I come there, the opportunity to play early is there. I told him I’m going to decide after my last visit. Iowa State is really a great program. I just want to make sure this is where I want to be before I decide and change my mind, because I respect him and the staff too much to flip on him.”

The next two weeks will be big for Tucker in deciding where he wants to sign next month. He has scheduled official visits to Wake Forest the weekend of January 20th and Florida Atlantic on January 27th. I-State hopes to make another good impression this Thursday night when Campbell, McDonald and assistant Bryan Gasser travel to Florida for an in-home visit.

Tucker had originally committed to Georgia Tech in August before severing that relationship in early December.

Throughout the recruiting process, he has gotten P5 offers from the likes of ISU, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi State, Nebraska and Wake Forest.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News