ADVERTISEMENT

Lost My Older Brother Last Night

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
I am so fortunate that I made it out to San Diego to see my brother for the last time yesterday. He passed overnight. He was very active until recently when diagnosed with cancer. He went downhill fast, especially since he called me last Thursday and sounded good. Saturday night he went to ER and was put under hospice care on Sunday.

He had lived a full life, going back to college after retiring to get a degree in archeology and went on a trip to Mongolia. He got his undergrad from Iowa State and worked in the newspaper business most of his life, first at the World Herald and later at various papers in the San Diego area. He was the guy that sold the newspaper ads from car companies. I have a little story about one of my trips there. Click it if you want to read it.

One time I came out to visit him and thought he was a slacker. His boss at the LA Times (San Diego office) required them to be in the office early at the beginning of the day and also to end the day, but were forbidden from being there during the rest of the day. He thought they needed to be out selling ads. It was a pretty long commute from Cardiff in North San Diego county to the downtown office, but he would make that trip and then would be back home for a long nap and to spend some time with us. He told us that his boss expected them to be out calling on clients, but he said he felt he would become a bother constantly calling on them. You can imagine what I thought of this lifestyle. That was until one weekend when he took me to some places downtown and said he first need to stop in to get something. He invited me up to his office in the high rise. On the wall of his office was a football field with a bunch of players with names on them and I asked him what it was. It represented the sales of the people in the office. I noticed he was about 30 yards ahead of the others and asked him about it, thinking that's pretty good. He said not only that, he had been down the field once and had already "lapped" them. I no longer thought of him as a slacker and instead understood exactly what he was talking about. He never really liked that boss and he eventually became the boss.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News