ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING I-State a Contender for 4-Star WR

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

The new coaching staff at Iowa State has never been shy about going up against perennial powers in recruiting top prospects. That’s especially true in the pursuit of a four-star wide receiver from Cleveland, Ohio, who has several Power-5 offers under his belt.

Cleveland Heights rising senior Jaylen Harris picked up a Cyclone offer several months ago and reaffirmed the staff’s interest last week by performing well at the Raw Talent Camp in his hometown.

“I think they liked everything about my performance, from the start to the end,” said Harris, who currently has offers from Alabama, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee and West Virginia.

“They enjoyed coming up there to work the camp. My route running and competition level really stood out. I’ve had an offer from Iowa State for a while. They were one of the first schools to offer me. I’ve built a good relationship with Coach (Matt) Campbell and we’ve been staying in touch. It’s all about relationships.”

The 6-foot-5, 205-pound Harris, a four-star recruit that’s ranked 27th at his position nationally and 184th overall, said the Cyclones have stayed in the running because of their relentless pursuit of him, and it might lead to an unofficial visit in the coming weeks.

“If it’s not every day it’s every other day that I’m talking to an Iowa State coach,” he said. “They are hitting me up, making sure I’m good and my grades are straight. They’re trying to get me to come down soon. Iowa State is a little way from Cleveland, but we’re going to make something happen and I’m going to get down there soon.”

Harris is being recruited to be a force on the exterior of the I-State offense.

“They said I’m a different breed and want me to come there and be the man,” he said. “They said I’m going to catch a ton of footballs. I’m being recruited to play outside and they just want to get the ball in my hands.”

The rising senior is starting to take stock of all his offers and said he’ll likely pick a list of favorites soon. ISU has a good chance of remaining in the mix.

“I don’t have a top school yet, but I like Iowa State,” he said. “I’m going to take a couple more visits and then come out with a list. I should have a more accurate picture soon. But Iowa State is up there, because they’re recruiting me hard.

“A lot of schools haven’t offered me because they look at the level of offers I already have. But Iowa State hasn’t been shy about recruiting me and I’m going to give them a shot. They’re not looking too bad.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News