ADVERTISEMENT

BP Combine Training Article in the Athletic

Granger Rick

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2001
Granger, Iowa

Nice detailed story about Brock Purdy’s training for the combine, his well-documented collegiate recruitment, the doubters all his playing days, etc. He plans on a long NFL career. (Subscription required)

After the technical stuff, this capped off the article…
In Purdy’s four seasons as a starter, he threw for 12,170 yards and 81 touchdowns. More important, the Cyclones won 31 games. That’s as many as the program had won in the previous seven seasons combined. In 2020, Iowa State made the Big 12 title game and won the Fiesta Bowl. These were achievements few outside Ames considered possible before Purdy arrived. “It’s ‘Thank you.’ Thank you for all you’ve done. Thank you for how you’ve led,” Iowa State coach Campbell said after Purdy’s final game as a Cyclone. “And thank you for giving belief for this football program that hasn’t been there for a long time.”​
That belief hasn’t changed even though Purdy is moving up a level. No one expects him to start in the NFL as a rookie. (No one expected him to start in the Big 12 as a freshman, either.) But should anyone be shocked if Purdy draws an NFL paycheck for the next 10-15 years? He plans to do just that by being the same person he was at Iowa State. “When you get into the locker room, I’m the kind of guy that gets everyone together,” Purdy said. “I’m like the glue. I feel like I can take people and help elevate their game, and I get along with everyone.”​
And maybe a few years down the road, Purdy can make his team’s GM very happy by recruiting a bargain free agent with a hell of a fastball — because the guy will already have millions in the bank — who might also be a matchup nightmare for DBs. As Purdy and Baumann took a short break between sets last week, Gormely laughed as he laid out the master plan. “The goal,” Gormely said, “is to get just enough time in baseball to still have a shot at tight end in the NFL.”​

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News