ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Young Visits Iowa State, Sets Commitment

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A former four-star safety who committed to Penn State as a 2018 prospect before off-the-field issues beset him visited Iowa State over the weekend and could be headed back to Ames as a member of the 2019 crop of newcomers.

Former Philadelphia (Pa.) Imhotep standout Isheem Young traveled to the Midwest during the final weekend leading up to the second signing period, which begins on Wednesday.

“I got to see the campus, got to have dinner with head coach and met all the coaches,” said Young. I also went to the basketball game. I had a great time on the visit and loved it up there. The fans, players and coaches are great there and it’s a great school academically.”

Young was a four-star prospect with a 5.8 Rivals rating in the 2018 class, but was involved in an armed robbery in July of 2017 before being charged in December of that year. He would end up pleading guilty to three counts of robbery, conspiracy and possession of an instrument of crime and was placed in a juvenile facility.

The I-State coaching staff appears set to give the 5-foot-10, 204-pound Young, who was the 15th-ranked player in Pennsylvania and 30th safety nationally in the 2018 class, an opportunity to redeem himself on the playing field and in the classroom.

“Coach (Matt) Campbell said he loves my game and personality and that he wants me playing for the Cyclones this upcoming season,” said Young.

At different points in the recruiting process, Young collected Power-5 offers from the likes of Arizona, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, LSU, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Since reclassifying to 2019, West Virginia has resurfaced as a top target for the defensive back.

If he ends up in Ames on signing day, Young said he’ll enter the fray in 2019 with high aspirations.

“(Campbell) said that I’ll play early and I fit perfectly at the middle safety or free safety,” he said.

Young said he plans to announce his commitment this Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News