ADVERTISEMENT

What is an Iowa State memory you will never forget?

LFJ4ISU

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2001
When I was 8 years old (spring of 1991) my Dad would always pack my two sisters and I into his white Bonneville and track our way to Ames from Council Bluffs for the Spring game. Back then as a kid the spring game was like Christmas to me. There was so much interaction with the players after the scrimmage and followed up by a dance in the concession stands in the NW corner.

I wasn’t a shy kid and I went and sat next to BIG #96 and struck up a conversation. Who knows what an 8 year old has to tell a college athlete but we became friends. Dad knew a few connections in the athletic department and I had hand written a letter to the player who would write back sending his senior football picture with it!

At the end of the year in 1992 my Dad was on the fence of going to the ISU vs NU game and he left it up to me. Said it was cold, we are going to get crushed, but if you want to go we can go. In my mind I had to go because I drew a picture of ISU beating up the Nebraska players and sent it off to him. I was excited for the game and so we headed up with a couple of friends.

I remember parking next to a crowd of drunk husker fans who were taunting us. Nothing overboard but we all knew what was going to happen that day, or so we thought! (Side note, they were halfway back to Omaha by the time we go back to the van so we didn’t get to see their sad faces)

After the game I went sprinting on to the field. I had a step or two on my Dad who I heard calling for me but I was a shit. So I ran straight to George Conditt who preceded to pick me up and said “We did it buddy!”

This made me a clone for life. I’m one of the few on here who did not attend ISU. I’m a fan due to good blood. If this wasn’t what made me a cyclone fan, maybe the car ride back to the dorm rooms by Johnny Orr’s coaching staff after a basketball camp practice. Pays to not sprint back like the rest of the boys!
Also sat on a cheerleaders lap but that’s for another day lol

What’s your moments of glory?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News