ADVERTISEMENT

What I heard on Fred..

cymark

Hall of Fame
Nov 24, 2002
So, seems like everyone has heard something, but an acquaintance told me a couple of tidbits this weekend and actually back to the Big 12 tournament.

Remember a press conference, I think it was Big 12, when I believe someone asked about tenure/burnout and Fred flippantly answered that "he was already burned out". Piggybacking off what Paul said, that would seem to at least hold a little water. In the NBA, your GM gets your players and while I don't want to simplify that, its a big difference from the collegiate game. I think the recruiting hasn't been as easy as Fred pictured it being.

This fellow also implied that Fred was pretty hurt about the criticism he took after the UAB game, and quite honestly that may have led him to believe that the job was going to be more difficult than he imagined. Now..Fred has played in the NBA and I cannot believe that this criticism would be any where near what he would encounter at any NBA venue, but this guy was adamant that this did bother Fred more than you would expect.

This certainly doesn't mean Fred would leave, but I do think it points out that there are differences between the college and pro game and the approach the coach would take. Fred was involved in the NBA for a far greater period than the college game and perhaps the pressures of winning/recruiting, especially at a non-traditional power are far greater than he imagined.

I guess we'll see in the next few days….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News