ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Any Chevy performance engine experts out there?

Cygarin

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2001
I noted in a post some time back that I am in the process of restoring a '71 Camaro SS. That project is a story in and of itself, but I won't bore you with that.

Unfortunately, I do not have the original engine in my car, and the engine that is in it is worthless, especially for a sports car.

The restorers are suggesting that I drop an LS3 into it, and further advising that if I go that route, for not much more get it with the HOT CAM in it.

The LS3 is 425 HP, which is mind boggling in it's own right. Install the HOT CAM.... and that vaults the HP to a staggering 495 HP! :eek:

My concern is the low RPM drivability with the HOT CAM installed with a manual transmission, Mrs. Cygarin will be driving this car (she is well experienced with manual trannys). I have been assured that the it won't be too "lopey" at idle when engaging the clutch, and that even my wife will have no problems with drivability.

Does anybody have any experience with the LS3, and most especially with the HOT CAM installed?

For the record, this is intended to be a driver. The HP is isn't necessary per se, other than.......well, you know....just because.

TIA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News