ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Towering Tackle is Newest I-State Commit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State got some big news – literally – out of the state of Michigan Tuesday night when a Class of 2017 offensive lineman gave his commitment to a pair of coaches that were on hand for an in-home visit.

Walled Lake Western senior Robert Hudson, who had been committed to a Big 10 program for months, decided on the Cyclones while offensive line coach Tom Manning and assistant D.K. McDonald visited.

“They came in for a home visit this evening to see how I was doing,” said Hudson, a three-star recruit that has received a 5.6 Rivals rating and is the 19th-ranked player overall in the state of Michigan for the Class of 2017.

“I just recently had de-committed from Purdue. I felt as though Iowa State was the biggest fit for me. I had been all over the United States and I never got the same feeling from when I was at Iowa State. The coaches are just different. That’s the main reason I committed there.”

The 6-foot-8, 295-pound Hudson, who also had Power-5 offers from Purdue and Syracuse, took his official visit to I-State the weekend of December 9th. He also had G5 offers from Buffalo, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Temple, UCF and Western Michigan.

Following his trip to Ames five weeks ago, Hudson took some time to reflect on his experience leading up to the visit from the Cyclone coaches.

“There was a lot of thinking things over, checking off the things on my list that I made sure I needed and all the things that I wanted to have in the University,” Hudson said. “They were very surprised. I didn’t tell them I was going to come out with the news. We were sitting at my table talking and I told them I wanted to commit to them. They were very excited.”

Hudson said he felt a connection with his future position coach Manning that he didn’t with any of the others that had recruited him from other schools.

“It was just different,” Hudson said. “There’s just something about them that you can’t really explain through the words. You get a feeling from them that they’re going to make you the best no matter what.”

Hudson is the fourth known offensive line commitment for 2017 and 22nd addition overall. He joins a high school class of three-star prospects that includes Colin Newell, Jeff Nogaj and Alex Kleinow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News