ADVERTISEMENT

TJ or ?

bob77cat

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
Assuming this plays out as we think it will with Fred, imo some thoughts on a new HC methodology:

-Assume JP was in the loop on what was going to happen with Fred and some of his absence has to do with lining up donors for a potential offer to keep Fred (probably futile) and to work with a search firm or interview other candidates.
-I think TJ was brought in to hold things together in the transition with the understanding he would have a shot at the HC job- TJ was on a sinking Lorenzo Romar ship. Probably has some type of guaranteed assistant job contract with JP for a couple of years- new coach (if not TJ) will understand that this is part of the deal.
-I agree with the Gary Parrish article in another thread, this is a great opportunity for someone. If I were JP, I would try to leverage instant success with this group and not quickly settle with TJ (don't like saying that but I just don't think he'd be the first choice)
-Don't really have a feel for legitimate candidates but would think that JP would at least try to take a shot on a few- dangling a top 10 team has to be compelling for a rising star.

Unless it is TJ, I don't look for a replacement (if Fred is gone) for a couple of weeks. As a side note, I like the kind of chip this could put on the shoulders of the team this fall- they need a little grit and proving they can win without the guy that left them could provide some.

Just random thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News