ADVERTISEMENT

The electric grid is going to be under some serious strain, even without electric cars.

CeMar_Clone

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
In the last couple months, 2 huge data centers have started construction in Cedar Rapids. The first one is from Google and will cost 550M. Now a 2nd mystery company has started construction of data center right next to the Google Data center, and it will cost 750M. I have done some research on these data centers, and basically they are gigantic electric guzzlers as the major infrastructure of these data centers is Air Conditioning. They are surrounded by huge freezing/air-conditioning units. They are coming to Iowa and Cedar Rapids because we have cheap electricity and it is available (currently). These 2 data centers will cover over 2 square miles of land, and each site has about 30 acres (my estimate) devoted to just the electrical substations they need to build.

So I am thinking that we now have all these data centers being built all across the country in direct competition for electricity that the EV's will need, and I don't think that is going to end well. Then I see Microsoft is planning to start building AI centers, which make data centers look small. They have in the works their first AI center (don't know where), that will cost 100B to build, and it will require 6 GW of electricity to run. Considering that a nuclear power plant on average is 1 GW of power, each of these AI centers will require the equivalent of 6 nuclear power plants. That is crazy!

Seems to me that we have major grid problems coming that will crash the EV market even worse than it already is crashing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.