ADVERTISEMENT

The crowd and random thoughts

snoclone

Redshirt
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
It was great being back in Jack Trice Stadium Saturday night, but it sure isn’t the same excitement and atmosphere with only 15000 fans and no tailgating. I think the crowd made decent noise, especially late in the game, but I thought the crowd seemed subdued for much of the first half. Maybe it was because we were behind. Everyone in Section E seemed to follow the rules on masks. A few had masks and face shields. In my opinion, the crowd looked smaller than 15k given that is roughly 25% capacity. Some sections looked to be 25% full but some sections had very few people. And it appeared to me that there were considerably fewer than 1000 students, if they were in the normal student sections. I counted some of the “groups” of students in the blocked off areas and I don’t think there could have been more than 300 students. I wonder if some students didn’t go because they couldn’t go with their friends and/or tailgate. (Edit: Jamie said on the coach’s show tonight that 600 student tickets were scanned at the game.)

it was probably good that enough fans cancelled their season tickets for this year that Jamie didn’t need to prioritize who could go and who couldn’t. I can’t imagine how disappointing it would have been to have season tickets, after having tickets for many years, and then miss the first win over OU at home since 1960.

I think the defense matured the second half of the game. We got the stop when we needed to with the game tied and in past years we often didn’t get the stop we needed to win the game. I also thought the d-backs played better in the second half. Our defense will keep us in every game.

I can’t wait for Saturday and a beatdown of Tech!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News