ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Texas OL Recaps I-State Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Already standing out as the lone Power-5 offer for a three-star offensive lineman in Texas, Iowa State further solidified its spot at the top for the prospect after making a solid first impression.

Tyler junior Chance Billington took his first visit to Ames over the weekend and came away with a number of superlatives about his experience.

“It changed everything around completely,” said Billington. “The loyal fans and the way people are up there, it’s an amazing sight. The trip was amazing and everything I expected and more. Everybody there hangs and is so cool. It’s a great place. They’re loving.

“The coaching staff is well oriented and want players to succeed. They put players in the best position possible. The way they interact with everybody, they know everybody. It makes it feel like home in Ames. It’s amazing.”

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Billington, who has a 5.5 Rivals rating, also has offers from Jackson State, SMU and Texas State. He said the coaching staff, particularly position coach Jeff Myers, made him feel like a priority for the 2019 class.

“Coach Myers and I hung out quite a bit, and as soon as I got there he was right there at the door to meet me,” Billington said. “We just clicked. He was with me over the whole course of the day, besides the scrimmage. He’s an amazing guy.”

As far as the ability to make a transition to the P5 level, Billington said he was made to feel like he had the ability to do it.

“Our team runs the same type of schemes that they run, so (Myers) told me I’d be able to adjust to that well,” he said. “(Myers) coached me up on some things like my stance and how to finish. He loves my versatility, as well as my ability to get to the second level. He loves the way I do things. He’s not just going to tell me the good things, but everything and that’s what you need. He’ll tell you the good and bad – that’s what I love the most.”

The prep big man said the position he could be joining at I-State also made quite the impression.

“The offensive line is amazing,” he said. “They have high motors. Everybody is in sync with one another. I heard three years ago the program wasn’t on the upside, but now the whole O-line and team is phenomenal. They’ve done 15 practices and the energy is still there. It’s really amazing. You can tell what kind of football team they are, and it’s one that loves to work.”

Perhaps the best memory of the weekend, Billington said, was the time he spent with those currently in the ISU program.

“I really enjoyed hanging out with the players,” he said. “I stayed the night at the dorm with the players and the way they are is cool. It’s an amazing atmosphere to be around and a lot has to do with the players.

“They said when you come in, the coaches are cool and you can talk to them about anything. They’re father figures. When it’s time to work, it’s time to work and they’ll put you in the best position possible to succeed.”

Head coach Matt Campbell also made time to converse with Billington on two separate occasions during the weekend.

“The first day I got there on Friday at dinner, I met Coach Campbell and he told me who he was,” Billington said. “I also had a meeting with him and he told me how they recruit players that are of high character. He said I was a good guy. I also see that he is a good guy that cares for his players. They are moving up in college football, so he knows how to win and loves to win.”

Billington also took the opportunity to level with Campbell about where he is in the recruiting process.

“I told him I’m getting close to making a decision and obviously Iowa State is my number one,” Billington said. “He said whether I come here or not, make sure you go to a place where they’ll take care of you and love you, but also get in there and get some work. Not everything is going to be given to you, you have to earn it. He gave me all these tools.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News