ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Tenn. TE Preps for ISU Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State is one in a mix of three Power-5 programs to have visited and offered a Tennessee tight end this spring, and is set to host the 2020 prospect next week.

Nashville Ensworth rising senior Austin Henderson said his interest from the Cyclones started this month and culminated last Thursday with an on-side visit from position coach Alex Golesh.

“Somebody followed me on Twitter and then I hit them up, was interested in them and seeing how everything was going,” said Henderson. “I told them the coach I had practice, come check me out and he did. Coach Golesh checked out practice last Thursday, liked what he saw and they offered that night.”

In addition to ISU, Henderson has been visited this spring by coaches from Indiana and Minnesota. Those three comprise his list of three P5 offers to date. Austin Peay, Murray State, Tennessee-Martin and UTSA have also offered.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Henderson has certainly reciprocated the Cyclones’ interest in him this spring. Not only has he already scheduled an unofficial visit, but Henderson said he called Golesh the day before the school visit to find out more about the program.

“We’ve had some nice conversations,” he said. “I called him the night before (the offer) just to check on things and see how he was doing. We had about a 30-minute conversation that night and talked about him coming down here. He told me what he’s looking for in a tight end and what they need at Iowa State. I liked what I heard.

“(The day of his visit), he got there a little bit early and we talked a little bit. I think what he liked the most was my size. He watched me run routes and catch a few balls. He wanted to make sure I could catch and run good, to see me in person.”

The Nashville area prospect said he already knows a lot about the I-State program and conference it competes in.

“(Golesh) has sent me a few videos that show how they play and some games,” Henderson said. “I really like the Big 12 and know they throw a lot. They score a lot of points. The competition is great. I always like to see that and it’s what I’m looking for.”

Next up in the process is Henderson’s trip to Ames next Tuesday.

“I don’t know what their needs are right now, but I’m going up there for an unofficial to check things out,” he said. “Coach Golesh said they’re looking to sign one tight end in the next class. We’ll see how it goes; that might be me.

“I want to see how they coach, get to meet the other coaches, see the facilities, check things out and see what their plan is for me. Maybe I’ll get a better feel and can take an official visit later on in the process.”

Other P5 schools continue to inquire on Henderson, but he says the first P5 offer schools currently have the edge.

“The three schools that did come to see me…it means a lot,” he said. “They’ve showed enough interest to come out and see me in person. They’re definitely in the top-three and will be in the mix when I start making decisions, no matter who comes next.”

Reactions: winforcy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News