ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Sophomore Spotlight: OL Andrew Todd

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Although the ISU coaching staff was in the final weeks of securing its first-ever recruiting class, the Cyclones still found plenty of time to scout the underclassmen from around the state. One of those up-and-comers is a Class of 2018 offensive lineman from eastern Iowa.

Iowa State recently became the first offer of any kind for Cedar Rapids Washington’s Andrew Todd, who said he was pleasantly surprised to hear from the Big 12 program.

“It was kind of a random thing for me,” said Todd, who comes from the same high school that has produced current Cyclone scholarship players Julian Good-Jones and Landon Akers.

“Being only a sophomore, the coaches obviously weren’t able to contact me. I had sent my film to them, but it never really proceeded much further than that. But I was at wrestling practice one day and my strength and conditioning coach told me they called, wanted me to give them a call later that night and were going to offer me. It was a pretty crazy ordeal for me, since I hadn’t heard from them before that time.”

The 6-foot-4, 255-pound Todd said he spoke with the Cyclones’ offensive coordinator and line coach while receiving the news.

“I talked to Coach (Tom) Manning when I called and he extended the offer at that time,” Todd said. “He talked about my footwork on film, talent as a sophomore and the potential I have to continue to grow as a football player based off of what I did as a sophomore. He told me that I was a special guy on film and they wanted me to be a part of the program.”

Although Todd has played all over the line at Washington, he says he’ll likely move inside to guard or center in Ames.

Now that he’s received his first offer, Todd said he’d like to schedule some type of visit to Ames in the near future, especially since he has yet to see the campus.

“I have not heard from them on that,” he said. “I was going to call and get a visit set up. They’re really focused on the 2017 kids right now and I understand that, so I haven’t heard anything about a visit.”

Todd recently took a Junior Day visit to Illinois and said he’ll be on Michigan State’s campus this weekend for a similar event.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News