ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING So Cal DB Likes Cyclone Defense

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A southern California defensive back added an Iowa State offer, his first from a Power-5 school, during a solid spring campaign and now says the program is at the top of his list.

San Diego Point Loma junior JL Skinner said the Cyclones stepped up their pursuit in advance of a visit to his school.

“Iowa State texted me about a week before they were coming down, trying to build a relationship and talk with me more,” said Skinner, who said he’s being recruited by cornerback coach D.K. McDonald.

“About a week after that, the coach came by to see how I looked. He went back to the head coach and told him exactly how I looked with my size and potential to build into something. They offered me a scholarship and Iowa State is in my top two right now with Boise State.

In addition to the Cyclones and Broncos, Skinner also has offers from BYU, Colorado State, Hawaii, San Diego State, San Jose State and UNLV.

But it’s I-State that stands out as much as anyone for Skinner, who likes the level of competition and how the defense competes.

“I like the conference they’re in, the Big 12,” he said. “That’s a big deal for me right now. I’ve always watched Iowa State. I see it’s a different feel up there and I’ve been seeing things from different players on the team that make it seem like a great place to be.

“I’ve looked at some of last year’s games and Iowa State is a great school. That’s why they’re at the top of my list right now. It seems great over there, what they’re trying to do. They play hard, they play fast and it’s all physical. They’re really aggressive and I like the mentality they have up there. I think the defense was the heart and soul of the team. They wouldn’t have accomplished what they had if they just had an ordinary defense.”

According to Skinner, the program was drawn to him because of what he brings to the table with his 6-foot-3, 185-pound frame.

“They say it’s my length and the size I am right now,” he said. “My ability is just different. “They want me as a safety or a corner, whichever one that they need the most. They really like my versatility.”

After securing the offer, Skinner said ISU pulled out all the stops to make an immediate impression.

“As soon as it happened, I got so much love from the entire coaching staff and not just the defensive backs coach,” he said. “That’s really felt great to me. I’ve talked to the defensive backs coach a couple times and expect I’ll hear from him even more this summer when the NCAA rules aren’t as strict.”

Skinner said he is eyeing an ISU official visit after the 2018 season begins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News