ADVERTISEMENT

Single greatest one-game performance by a Cyclone

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
to generate some conversation, I thought I'd ask everyone which Cyclone player they thought had the single greatest game in football.

I would nominate several:

2012: The Josh Lenz game. Lenz caught three TD passes and threw for another in an upset win over No. 13 TCU. He wound up with 5 catches for 147 yards and the 3 scores.

2005: The Todd Blythe game. Blythe caught 4 TD passes in a thumping of Texas A&M. He wound up with 8 catches for 214 yards.

1996: The Troy Davis game. Davis rushed for what was, at the time, the third best all-time in NCAA Division 1 history total of 378 yards and three scores in a 45-31 win over Missouri.

2019: The Brock Purdy game. Purdy threw for a school record 435 yards and 3 TDs and ran for another 75 yards and 3 more scores in a shellacking of Louisiana-Monroe. His total yardage of 510 was also a school record.

1998: The Todd Bandhauer game. Bandhauer threw for 5 TD passes, a school record that he shares with two others, in a 54-33 loss to Texas. He attempted 62 passes in the game, a school record, which Purdy later tied against Oklahoma State in 2019.

2012: The Steele Jantz game. Jantz tied school records (at the time) for completions (36) and touchdown tosses (5) to help Iowa State to a 35-21 win over Baylor.

1989: The Bret Oberg game. Oberg threw for 411 yards and 4 TDs and ran for two more, setting school records at the time for passing yards in a game and total TDs, in a 43-40 loss to a ranked Oklahoma team.

1992: The Marv Seiler game. Seiler, the Cyclones' 5th string QB, starting due to injuries to everyone else, led the Cyclones to 343 rushing yards with 144 yards on the ground himself, including a legendary 77 yard scamper to the Nebraska 3 to seal the game as the Cyclones upset the 7th ranked Big Red juggernaut 19-10.

2007: The Shaggy game: Bret Culbertson, a much maligned place kicker for the Cyclones, kicked 5 field goals, including the game-winner as time expired, to give the Cyclones the only points they would need to defeat Iowa 15-12.

I'm sure there are others, especially on defense, but these are the ones I could come up with off the top of my head.

They are pretty much in the order I would rank them, with the exception of maybe the Seiler game and the Davis game, which should be higher up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News