ADVERTISEMENT

Replay notes on every possession....

Cygarin

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2001
I watched the replay last night and took brief notes of every series. Take these notes for what they are worth, but holy cow! How many ways can there be to kill a drive! And many with major consequences!

It's little wonder that we had 388 yards in regulation play, and only one touchdown to show for it.

This team could easily move the ball ten yards all day long against the Purples!

We just needed to move the ball "only" ten yards....OR (big "OR")....catch the damned ball! Either one would have moved the sticks all day.

I can't imagine how many yards we would have had Saturday, had we not shot ourselves in the ass....every series but one!

This really, really should have been that one-sided win we expected.

(In my opinion.)

Series 1

The blindside block call that cost us a big gain and a first down.

After researching the rules and watching the tutorial videos, it as a correct call. The blindside block rule goes further than just somebody being blindsided. Because of that....this rule is going to cause all kinds of controversy this year.

Dropped pass for a first down....punted.

Series 2

A dropped pass and a holding call cost us moving the sticks. Punt.

Series 3

The lost helmet scum play (right call) moved the ball from a 1st and goal at the 7 yard line to the 25.

Field goal.

Series 4

Ineligible man down field called.

On 4th and 2 at the 44, punted. (Right call, didn't think so in real time. )

Series 5

A 3rd and 1 pass to a wild open Milton for a first down went right through his hands.

4th and a foot, Purdy RPO'd to the tight end, incomplete.

I could question if the right call was sent in, but Purdy definitely made the right decision to pass. UNI had sold out to the short run up the middle, and loaded the LOS with defenders. Arguably, a "Montgomery shift" to the left side by a running back may have been open.

Series 6

Run out the clock. End of half

Series 7

First possession of the second half...near perfect execution resulted in driving the field for a touchdown.

Series 8

The fumbled pass that UNI picked up for a touchdown.

After watching the replay over and over....it is incomprehensible to me that a fumble was called on the field, and an utter failure of the replay booth to do their job.

There is not the slightest hint of Purdy losing his grip on the ball though inches of forward motion. I could understand the field ref "deferring" the call to the booth, should that be the case. But there is no way the booth could ever call that a fumble.

This is an example where there should be such a thing as a deferred call to the booth, and the booth forced make the call one way or another. There should be no "stand" option for them.

The replay shows evidence of a forward pass. There is no evidence of a fumble, you can only assume that the field refs saw "something".

Basically the field refs "deferred" the non-call to the booth...and the booth "deferred" back to the non-call on the field.

Series 9

Missed unobstructed 31 yard chip shot field goal. (Good lord.)

Series 10

Touchdown by Purdy called back for holding.

Technically a correct holding call, but not by much. It was a matter of how soon must you release before it is considered holding. I don't think the defender would have been involved with the play.

Next play, Croney got to the 4 yard line on 4th, setting up the tying 23 yard field goal to tie the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News