ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed Iowa Constitution Gun Amendment

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
The Iowa Legislature has approved a proposed pro-gun amendment to the Iowa Constitution which should appear on the ballot in 2022. What does it mean and why is it needed? Or why should it not be approved by voters?

The proposed amendment states: “ The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The sovereign state of Iowa affirms and recognizes this right to be a fundamental individual right. Any and all restrictions of this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.”

Note: While arguments for and against may fall along party lines, this is another attempt of mine to have a discussion about a single issue and to get away from partisan politics. In the case of this issue, it's not clear to me what the implications of this proposed amendment is. For the record, I'm not a big fan of the NRA and the second amendment to the constitution. I know that is probably not a popular view, especially on this board. In the case of this amendment, I'd like clarity on what is intended by it. Those of us in the state will have to vote on it, so it's a good idea for us to be informed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News