ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Priority OL has Cyclones on Top

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

According to a three-star offensive lineman that’s ranked as one of the top 2017 recruits in the state of Missouri, Iowa State is currently at the top of his list.

Maryland Heights Pattonville junior Marquis Hayes took a visit to Iowa State a few months ago for a Junior Day and said he continues to feel the love from a coaching staff that’s been persistent.

“I really like Iowa State,” said Hayes. “I talk to at least one coach a day, by texting, tweeting or call, which is great. I feel good about the coaching staff and I feel good about the offensive line coach, Tom Manning. He’s very cool. Not to say I would go there just for him, but that’s a positive. You want to feel you have a good relationship with that coach in particular.

“D.K. McDonald is my recruiting coach for St. Louis and texts me on a daily basis. He was down here to see me this week at school and I felt like I was a big priority for them. Coach McDonald told my coach that they want me to come play for them and be a Cyclone, which I very much appreciate.”

I-State coaches have certainly made Missouri’s fifth-ranked recruit for the Class of 2017and #17 offensive guard overall in the country feel important.

“It seems like I’m one of the top offensive linemen they’re in contact with,” Hayes said. “Coach McDonald said they’re lacking numbers on the offensive line and feel I can be a big part of that.”

Although the 6-foot-5, 315-pound Hayes did not make it to Ames over the spring to see an ISU practice, he is looking ahead to a visit during the month of May. He’s targeting a weekend stop after a pair of camp commitments in Columbus, Ohio (Nike) and Kansas City (Rivals).

Hayes said he still has fond memories of his trip to Ames with 2018 quarterback teammate Kaleb Eleby

“Kaleb made a trip up there together for the Junior Day and we really liked it,” Hayes said. “We took pictures together in our jerseys. We really like the facilities and how the coaching staff stood out to us. It was really a good time.”

With Power-5 offers from ISU, Missouri, Illinois and Minnesota to consider, Hayes said it’s a close race but that the Cyclones are at the top.

“Iowa State is one of my top tops, one of the schools that I really like,” he said. “It’s Iowa State, Missouri and Illinois at the moment, and I just received an offer from Minnesota so they’ll take part in it too. But Iowa State is at the top of my list right now.”

A commitment to any school is still several months off however, said Hayes, who wants to wait until the end of his senior season.

Reactions: Cali_Clone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News