ADVERTISEMENT

OT: two scams in two days

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I've had scam phone calls in consecutive days. The first one yesterday was someone with a Russian accent calling me at work to tell me that they had been notified by my computer that it had a virus and I needed to pay them to fix it. I asked them what kind of computer I had and they said a PC, which is wrong because I own a Mac. I hung up and they immediately called me back and before I could say hello, he immediately yelled at me that I had to register my computer. I told him I don't have to do anything and to quit calling me and I hung up again.

Then this morning, someone who also had an accent but it was hard to tell from where (I suspect eastern European) called me and told me that I was the lucky second place winner of the Publisher's Clearing House random drawing. My cellphone number was picked at random, he said. I won $1.8 million and a new Mercedes Benz, which would be delivered to my door and all I had to do was fork over $240.

Well, I figure I'm getting off cheap. Maybe it was my skeptical tone and downright accusations that made the cost to me so low. I know that's what it was that made this guy trot out the religious mumbo jumbo about how all who believe in Christ will be saved and will put trust in him to deliver what he promised, like that's supposed to make me believe he's for real. And what does religion have to do with the Publishers Clearing House anyway?

Anyway, I hung up on him too. So I guess I don't get to retire early.

Reactions: fairviewfarmer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News