ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Omaha WR Eyeing ISU Game Days

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State offered a Class of 2020 wide receiver over the winter and hosted the prospect during spring practice, and Ames could be a destination for another unofficial visit during the upcoming season.

Omaha (Neb.) Burke rising junior Xavier Watts traveled to a pair of camps at other destinations over the offseason and said he hopes to have a big 2018.

“I’m just getting prepared for the season and ready to dominate this season,” said Watts. “I’m really looking forward to it. I went to camps at Oklahoma (and Nebraska) and the Rivals camp in Chicago this summer. I think I did pretty well in my one-on-ones and the free throwing and catching. I think I’ve gotten better against press coverage by getting better releases.”

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Watts has Power-5 offers from Iowa State, Minnesota and Purdue, in addition to one from the FCS level in South Dakota State. The wide receiver didn’t travel to any of those schools during the summer months.

Watts said it was a pretty quiet summer on the recruiting front, but he hopes that changes come the fall when coaches can start initiating contact with junior prospects on September 1st.

“The last mail I’ve gotten was from Iowa State and that was during the school year,” Watts said. “It was a camp schedule and all their games this year that I can go to. I visited there and they’ve got a really good environment. They’re going to be a really good team and have some good pieces. All the coaches and players have bought into the program.”

The Nebraska prep said he hasn’t considered where he’ll be traveling to this fall.

“I don’t really know yet and haven’t really talked to my parents about that,” Watts said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News