ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING OL Commit Pauls Learns at Camp

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Although he remains a borderline four-star recruit and one of the top overall prospects in Kansas for the 2020 class, an Iowa State offensive line recruit hasn’t stopped working at his craft.

Emporia rising senior Hayden Pauls, who committed in April, spent some quality time with the Cyclone staff this past weekend when he traveled to Ames for the Big Man Camp.

“I enjoyed learning some techniques and different coaching (methods),” said Pauls. “(It was) just finding out what they think I could work on and applying that to this coming football season. I’ll be working on using my hands better.

“I got to work with Coach (Jeff) Myers, Coach (Matt) Campbell and Coach (Tom) Manning on some fundamental stuff and some one-on-ones. I also got to do a little bit of film study with Coach Myers. It was a really good day.”

The 6-foot-4, 260-pound Pauls is one of two three-star offensive line prospects with 5.7 Rivals ratings…one percentage point away from being assigned a fourth star. He is the 60th-ranked offensive tackle nationally and third overall player in Kansas for 2020.

When he chose Iowa State in mid-April, Pauls chosed the program over Power-5 offers from Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Purdue.

One of the reasons Pauls chose the Cyclones a few months ago was his relationship with Campbell’s staff, and the big man said that was bolstered with his latest stop.

“We just really caught up and hung out,” Pauls said. “We all had a good time together. I went out for pizza with some of the coaches and we just enjoyed catching up. The visit made me want to get up there faster. I love it up there and am ready to get up there and start working.”

Much has been made about ISU’s foray into Kansas in recent years, and the staff offered another prospect from Pauls’ state after Saturday’s camp. The 2020 commit has already taken it upon himself to help recruit senior classmate Monroe Mills.

“I’ve been trying to talk to him to see where he’s at and how he’s feeling,” Pauls said. “They offered him, so of course he’s good. It would be exciting for us to play together. We worked alongside one another during camp and did a lot of double-teams. I think we could be a part of a good unit.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News