ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING OKC Receiver Likes Closeness of Iowa State Program

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

After becoming the first to offer an Oklahoma wide receiver in the 2021 class, Iowa State got its chance to host the prospect for a camp visit on Thursday.

Oklahoma City John Marshall rising junior Bryce Stephens showcased his abilities at the Thursday Night Primetime Camp, while also getting his first look at the program.

“I got to see the weight room and it was great,” said Stephens. “The coaches seemed like they were really happy to see me. It was a fun time working with (Coach Nate Scheelhaase). The field was different, a grass field and I liked it. I thought it was fast. I had a fun time and it was great to be there.

“They were my first offer and the coaches were excited to see me up there and excited to see me work. The coaches really liked the speed I showed yesterday and Coach Scheelhaase taught me more moves at the top of my in-route. Faking your opponent and faking your defenders more…left-right-left and right-left-right, stuff like that.”

In addition to his I-State offer, Stephens has picked up ones from Arkansas, Memphis, Nebraska and Tulsa.

The 6-foot-2, 165-pound Stephens also capped off his camp experience with a visit in head coach Matt Campbell’s office.

“He said he really wanted me there and wanted to see me back for a game,” Stephens said. “They really like me as a coaching staff. He knows that I’m still at the start of my recruiting process and have a little bit of time to go. I’m taking my time with it.”

Reflecting back on the visit, Stephens said the Cyclones certainly put themselves in good position.

“It’s different from all the other schools I’ve been to,” he said. “Everybody around there seems close with each other. The environment is really nice. I like the grass field. The people in Iowa seem different in a good way and are very welcoming.

“The current players working the camp were excited to be with each other. I know they see each other every day. Iowa State seems like a good place to be. Plus, they were my first offer and are always going to be special to me.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News