ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Ohio OL is Cyclones' First 2018 Commit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Paul Clark

National Signing Day 2018 is roughly 22 months away. But that didn’t stop an offensive lineman from Ohio from making a solid verbal commitment to Iowa State on Thursday morning.

Alex Williams called and spoke with ISU head coach Matt Campbell Thursday morning before the start of the class day at Pickerington North High School. The 6-foot-6, 215-pound Williams said that even though he is just finishing up his 10th-grade year, there’s no doubt in where he wants to play football at the next level.

“I’m an Iowa State Cyclone, the recruiting process is over for me,” Williams said when asked about making a commitment nearly two years in advance of his signing day in February of 2018. “The player-coach relationships at Iowa State and Coach Matt Campbell just being a great person are what make me sure of it.”

Williams was in Ames this past weekend for an I-State unofficial visit that included the spring game. He said the weekend in Cyclone Country solidified things for him.

“I have constantly had a certain sense and great feeling about Iowa State,” said Campbell. “When I got out there, I really liked the campus life and how everybody was so friendly. I walked around without any Iowa State gear on or anything and no indication that I was on a recruiting visit. So they were just that friendly.”

The relationship between Williams and Campbell extends back to when the Cyclone head coach was at Toledo. Williams unofficially visited the Rocket program last year. There’s also a connection between the Iowa State staff and the Pickerington North program – ISU’s director of player personnel Doug Phillips is a brother to PNHS head coach Tom Phillips.

“It all started with that a few months ago when Doug Phillips contacted his brother, my head coach,” Williams explained. “And like I said, I had met some of the coaches at Toledo. So we just sort of went through a process and it came to the point where my parents and I talked about it and I decided. I had to call Coach Campbell to formalize it and we did that this morning.”

Williams said Iowa State projects him to play offensive tackle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News