ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING *** Official Visit Recap: Tayvonn Kyle ***

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

With room for another wide receiver in this year’s recruiting class, Iowa State hosted its priority at the position over the weekend on an official visit.

Valdosta (Ga.) Lowndes senior Tayvonn Kyle took his third visit of the process to Ames, saying he liked seeing the college life in Ames.

“It was nice getting up and seeing the players, seeing how they are in the program and being able to talk to the advisors,” said Kyle. “We had some fun activities like tubing on the snow slope. The basketball game was exciting and the fans are very active. They get past half-court and the fans are cheering then. They’re very supportive.”

The 6-foot-0, 165-pound Kyle was hosted during the visit by Cyclone receiver Hakeem Butler.

“He was pretty cool and is a pretty chill dude,” Kyle said. “He likes to have fun, but not crazy where you can get into trouble. He has fun enjoying the college life, but is also focused on what he has to do. He talked to me about the academic portion. They really take a lot of pride in assisting the student-athletes in the classroom and put them in the best position to be successful.”

A three-star recruit with a 5.5 Rivals rating, Kyle pulled in 42 receptions for 766 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior. I-State coaches believe he’d be a solid late addition to a class that included two December signees.

“I met with Coach (Bryan) Gasser today and he told me about the different things that he saw in my film that are similar to plays the run,” Kyle said. “He pulled up video of my highlights, followed by something they run. It was stuff that we’ve run in my games. He broke down a lot of it. He said they play a lot of receivers and I have a good chance of being able to play next year on the offensive side of special teams.”

Kyle met with head coach Matt Campbell on Sunday morning, hearing from the coach that the staff would be excited to have him when he’s ready to make a decision.

“They want me and can sign one more receiver,” he said. “They offered me ahead of two other guys and were anxious to get me up there as soon as possible. I’m their priority and first choice. If I were to decide that that’s the place I want to be, then they’d be excited to have me.”

The leader of the Cyclones’ program made quite an impression on the young receiver.

“Coach Campbell is pretty cool and an interesting guy,” Kyle said. “You can tell he’s still a little bit on the young side and that’s a good thing. That can be a positive thing in the whole process, because he understands where you’re coming from. He still likes to have fun and everything isn’t so plain like it can be in an older coach.”

As the days count down to next month’s signing day, Kyle said he expects to see I-State coaches on a pair of occasions with Gasser making an in-home visit on Tuesday and Campbell sometime next week.

A pair of additional official visits remain a possibility.

“I have two more available and I’m considering Georgia State, ECU, UCF, Middle Tennessee State and Colorado State,” he said.

Kyle has already taken official visits to Cincinnati and Illinois.

Reactions: r_rich_r
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News