ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Official visit a formality for long-time verbal Johnson

BillSeals

Jul 24, 2001
mobile.twitter.com
By Bill Seals

As a long-time commit for Iowa State’s 2018 recruiting class, a Florida defensive back said last weekend’s official visit was more about bonding with his future teammates in Ames.

St. Petersburg senior Anthony Johnson said he liked spending time with the other classmates on campus over the weekend.

“I enjoyed everything,” said Johnson. “There wasn’t really anything new to me. It still felt like home to me. I enjoyed playing lazer tag and bowling with the other committed guys. Before the visit, we had already started communicating through social media, so we knew a little bit about each other.”

The 6-foot-1, 160-pound defensive back also hung out with USF soft commit Jontrey Hunter, a Florida native that visited, as well as some other Sunshine State natives in the program.

“I enjoyed hanging out with Jontrey and hopefully before all is said and done, he will be a Cyclone,” Johnson said. “I met the same Florida kids that I met the last time and they were cool. They said it’s cold up there, obviously. They gave me a couple more pointers.”

Since the Cyclones are in bowl preparation mode, practicing on the weekends between now and the time they depart for Memphis, the staff was able to showcase that aspect of the program to Johnson and others.

“We had a nice breakfast and saw the weight room and training rooms again,” Johnson said. “Then we watched the bowl practice on Saturday. “The team is really focused right now. The defensive backs are live. After the practice, we went bowling and did lazer tag.”

I-State coaches have already been down to St. Petersburg to follow up with Johnson post-visit.

“I met with all the coaches up there and then Coach (D.K.) McDonald and Coach (Jon) Heacock were down to see me (yesterday),” Johnson said. “They had already talked about everything when they had visited me last week, so they were just stopping by to say hello.”

Johnson said he is planning to sign with the Cyclones later this month.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News