ADVERTISEMENT

Notes while finalizing your bracket...

Cyanide

Legend
Sep 13, 2001
I find these kind of facts sometimes helpful when filling out a bracket for a pool, so thought I'd share...

• In 21 of the last 22 years, at least one No. 2 seed has failed to make it to the Sweet 16. That is a crazy stat I didn't know about. Tennessee likely having to play Cincy in their backyard is something to maybe keep an eye on. So is a possible Seton Hall/Kentucky matchup...the Pirates have already beaten UK this year.
  • Vegas knows more than us. Last year, No. 10 Butler was a one-point favorite over No. 7 Arkansas and No. 11 Loyola-Chicago was only a one-point dog against No. 6 Miami. Butler and Loyola-Chicago both won. This year, the line that stands out is No. 12 Oregon being a one-point favorite over No. 5 Wisconsin.
  • Since the NCAA expanded the field from 65 to 68 teams, one of the First Four teams have went on to win their First Round matchup. Their records are 14-16 once in the field of 64. Last year No. 11 Syracuse beat No. 6 TCU and then No. 3 Michigan State before losing to Duke in the Sweet 16. This year those match-ups are Belmont vs. Temple and Arizona State vs. St. John's.
  • If you're looking at No. 3 Texas Tech or No. 3 Houston to make a deep run, maybe think again. Top three seeds that were unranked before the season have made the Final Four just two times out of 53 since the field expanded in 1986 (UCONN in 2011 and Michigan in 2017).
  • In the 34-year history of the modern NCAA tournament, no team that has finished with the top defense has ever reached the national championship game, and only one has ever been to the Final Four. That team this year: VIRGINIA.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.