ADVERTISEMENT

New vehicle

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I mentioned in another thread that I was going to be trading in my vehicle to get a Silverado first of next year. I've been doing some research and I'm seriously considering upgrading to the diesel engine instead of the gasoline engine that comes standard with the Silverado. The standard engine is a 4.3 liter V6 but they also offer 2.7 liter, 5.3 liter and 6.2 liter. The latter are upgrades. Also available in upgrades is a 3.0 liter diesel, which I'm seriously considering upgrading to. It's about a $2,200 upgrade (same as the bigger gas engines). While it's a smaller engine than the 5.3 and 6.2, there's supposed to be no noticeable difference in performance, acceleration, speed, torque, etc. The only differences are towing capacity (the bigger gas engines can tow up to 13,000 pounds and the diesel only 9,000, which is more than enough for anything I might want to tow.) The biggest difference, However, is in gas mileage. The diesel does way better (around 28 highway and 22 in town.) compared to the bigger gas engines, the best of which is about 22 highway. In fact, the diesel even outperforms the smaller gas engines in mileage because it runs more efficiently (at least that's what my research indicates). I know diesel costs more than gasoline, but I'd have to buy a higher octane gas with the other engines anyway, so I don't think it's that much more expensive and would be cheaper in the long run.

I'm wondering if anyone here who is mechanically inclined would care to weigh in on the best engine for me to get with my Sliverado because I'm really kind of lost when it comes to this kind of thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News