ADVERTISEMENT

My impressions after watching cyning day special (long)

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I got nothing against John Walters, but I liked it better when the coaches were handling it all by themselves. There seemed to be more free-lancing going on, more camaraderie when Campbell made a few opening remarks, then introduced the first coach, who spoke about his players, then introduced the next coach, etc. This panel interview format seems more formal and scripted and not as fun and free-wheeling. On to the players.

Of course, I've watched all the player videos at one time or another, but there's just something about seeing them all in the same sitting that lets you compare and contrast a little bit better. I think two players whose videos stuck out to me were Cory Suttle and Darien Porter.

Suttle looked angry, like you stole his bicycle and he meant to get it back, whatever it took. He has a great first step and a burst we don't often see in our D-linemen. Walters said he might just be the sleeper in the bunch and I can see why. I thought his video was Blake Peterson x3.

Porter has speed, speed, speed. I don't know that we've ever had a WR that tall with that kind of speed, It's almost comical to watch him race past smaller DBs. When I think of a deep threat, Porter is the kind of receiver I think about. Not Butler, who, of course is a deep threat with his height and catch radius and other intangibles, but someone with top-end speed. Butler is plenty fast enough, but Porter has that extra gear, I think.

Another player who stood out to me was DeShayne James. I didn't think I would say that about James because I've never been too impressed by his highlights and kind of wondered what they were doing offering him. But they must have found some clips I've never seen, because he looked like a completely different player.

Running backs: I've always been a big fan of Breece Hall. It's not often you find that combination of speed, size and elusiveness in a RB, but after watching the videos back to back, I have to say I might be a bigger fan of Brock now. Brock seems to have more RB instinct than Hall and better vision. I think he's taken over as my favorite RB recruit. I'm not advocating that Hall make a position switch by any means, but he has WR skills, which can be useful in a RB, obviously. It will be fun to have both of them in the backfield for the next four years. Since we're on the RBs, I know a lot of people like Leonard Glass, but I guess I just don't see it. Sure, he's a nice little player, but I think he's a notch below the other two backs. I think Glass will probably get moved to slot receiver.

The lone negative for me, (other than the format) was Ezeriah Anderson. He seems big and slow to me. Just not sure he's going to have much of an impact at ISU. i hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not seeing it.

The linemen all looked capable, but I know nothing about line play so I can't comment much further. The DBs all looked good and I like to hear the word speed, which we did, when discussing that group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News