ADVERTISEMENT

My glass is way more than half-full

IwasIlliniCy

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
First off, my apologies to those that I've been a bit snarky with the last couple of days. I just really feel that as frustrating as that game was to sit through ( I lost my mind numerous times during the game), it just ain't that bad.

Some points:

* I have no doubt that Iowa State kept things very vanilla. Yes, almost too vanilla, but again, a couple of freaky plays and penalties really stopped us in our tracks.

* The bashing of the Oline is a bit misguided, IMO. We ran for 185 yards, 50 above our average of last year and we didn't turn loose our fleet-footed QB. There were some breakdowns in pass pro, but we've been pretty good there the last couple of years, so I have no reason to think it won't be shored up by 9/14. EDIT: By the way, only twice all last year did Iowa State have more rushing yards in a game.

* Iowa State is 7-0 the last 2 Octobers, so if you think that this weekend's performance is indicative of what we'll see moving forward, you need to step back and reassess. This stat alone should give you the utmost confidence in this staff's ability to improve this team (that includes play calling) week-by-week. They have more than earned that benefit of the doubt.

*Our defense is the freaking rock of Gibraltar. 1.1 YPC for UNI? I don't care who you're playing, that's a brick wall.

*McElwain was the equivalent of the chicken in Rocky when Balboa first started training. Give him props. What great prep for Brewer, Hurts, etc.

*Iowa State, after week one, has already faced and defeated the adversity that Campbell talks about all the time. They won a 3OT game. You can argue all day whether it should have been that close , but the bottom line is they overcame their own mistakes, weird plays and bad calls. Close games will likely not phase them the rest of the year.

*Finally, I'll leave you with this truth: Since Brock Purdy took over at QB, Iowa State is 8-2 with the only losses AT then-#13 Texas and against #12 Wazoo in the Alamo Bowl. That's some lofty $h!t right there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News