ADVERTISEMENT

My best guess

ClonzRule

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
When you take the quotes from the conference commissioners over the last couple of weeks. Here is my best guess on what happens:
1. The 8 add 2 and call it good. Why only 2 and not 4? Because outside of BYU, there really isn't anyone left that is as solid as ISU/KU/KSU/Tech/WVU. Everyone else is in the TCU/BU fan base level pool. So why add 4 when you can get by with 2?
2. The Big 12 will get an auto bid in the expanded CFP and will be considered a P5 league. Besides it allowing him to be magnanimous, the ACC commish's comments about the BIg 12 being important as a P5 league was said for a reason.
3. The Big 12 schools will make less money than currently, but not a 50% hit...25%? Bowlsby going off on ESPN and then saying there would be no more public bitching seems very important. I know Jamie thinks a lot of Bowlsby's abilities and that is good enough for me. Bowlsby has the ESPN/AAC smoking gun and is using that as leverage. Helluva lot better for ESPN to pay an extra $50 million a year over what they would have had to pay to broadcast the games than go through the cost/embarrassment/etc...of a court battle that could end up in a massive judgement against them.

I suspect the moves by ESPN/SEC finally forced the PAC 12, Big Ten, & ACC to understand they could ultimately be the next victim....especially the PAC 12. Shopping for big brands with the ESPN credit card poses a big threat.

OTOH, I could be completely FOS. It will be interesting to see what the PAC 12 announces regarding expansion later this week. I'm betting they don't.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News