ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Missouri OL Booked for 3rd Iowa St. Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A couple of gameday visits last fall, coupled with a strong junior season, helped a Missouri offensive line prospect secure an Iowa State offer a few weeks ago.

Blue Springs class of 2019 three-star Conrad Rowley said the Cyclones’ interest gradually picked up from the time he visited for the Kansas and Iowa games this past year. It ultimately led to his getting an offer during a conversation with a trio of coaches.

“During the season, I went on a couple visits up there to go watch some games,” said Rowley. “Then, one day at school I got a call from my head coach and he said I need to call Coach (Nate) Scheelhaase, Coach (Jeff) Myers and Coach (Matt) Campbell.

“I called them and they were explaining to me how I fit their system of toughness, hard work and the way I finish people on film. They love it a lot. They like how I blow people off the ball, move them from point A to point B, and the way I finish people on the ground. They like all of my pancake blocks.”

The 6-foot-4, 275-pound Rowley, who also has offers from Kansas, Northwestern and Rice, and has gotten strong interest from Oklahoma State, said he was impressed with the progress shown in Campbell’s second season on the job.

“I was very excited (for the offer), because I know Iowa State is building a program up there and it’s going to be something in the next couple years,” he said. “Even next year it’s going to be great. It’s also exciting to see Coach Campbell also signed a six-year contract extension to stay at Iowa State to build them. He talked about winning championships and said I’m the type of player he needs to do that.”

Rowley said he’s hearing from new offensive line coach Myers more of late and has developed a good relationship with the first-year full-time assistant.

“I’m excited,” Rowley said. “He’s a brand-new coach and he’s young, so he gets me and all the other young kids in college and high school. We’re catching up more and more, getting to know each other.”

But perhaps more than anything, Rowley said he likes the support behind the football program.

“The fan base was exciting and I love the facilities,” he said. “They’re really nice and up to date. But by far the greatest thing has to be the fans. Every time I walked into that stadium, it was absolutely packed.”

Rowley will take his third unofficial visit to Ames this weekend and said he’s anxious to explore more about the I-State program.

“I want to see if it fits my style and it’s where I could see myself going,” he said. “I want to see what type of school it is and how I could benefit out of attending the University.”

With four offers and at least one more likely to come in the coming weeks, Rowley assessed where he’s at in the recruiting process.

“Iowa State is for sure the top school with Northwestern,” he said. “I do like Oklahoma State a lot. I’m probably going to make a decision around May, because I want to focus on my senior season and the teammates around me.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News