ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Matt Campbell Press Conf Q & A

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
Transcribed by Bill Seals

Opening comments:

“Let me give credit to our fanbase. This is another really special day in terms of our fans, their commitment to us, the energy, excitement in that stadium…it’s really special. Our fanbase was really powerful. I’m really grateful for what they did. They have been phenomenal this whole year. I want to give credit to our fans, students and am grateful the alumni came back for Homecoming.

“From my end, I give Texas Tech a lot of credit. They’re a team that continues to play with great attitude and effort. It was a great football game from that end of it. From our end, it was great to see resolve from our kids, some guys stood up and made the plays when they needed to. Yet there were some things that really collectively through the game – coaching – that we have to be better at if we want to continue to grow as a program and team.”

On the performance by the team to fight through rough stretches to win game:

“All the credit has to go to our kids. This team was one-and-whatever to start the season, you struggle and get behind in terms of where you want to be, and yet our kids have never flinched. That’s the story of the character of this team so far. There’s a lot of football left to see and what their defining character traits are, but this is a group in terms of leadership, investment and player ownership that stood up and made plays when they had to. It wasn’t perfect. It wasn’t pretty. That is a positive characteristic at times…winning when you don’t play your best football.”

On Brock Purdy fighting through difficult game to complete big touchdown pass:

“I feel like we’re still grinding and will feel that way for a while now. He had to. It wasn’t perfect. Brock would tell you that. When that kid needed to make plays, there were some third down plays and drops, but he just kept playing. That’s what makes that young man really special is that play that he makes, 3rd-and-9, he steps up and delivers a big-time ball and Hakeem (Butler) makes a great catch. That’s a tough defense. They do a lot of things. Brock had to grind through it throughout the football game.”

On the defense rising up to make some big plays late in the game:

“In rhythm a little bit to our team, there were some really good moments and some not good moments. But there was way more good than bad. It was fitting in the second half of the game, just like it has been all year, when our defense has needed to rise up the most they rose up and made huge plays.

“The turnovers became the difference in the football game. We probably have to get Marcel (Spears) in on offense at some point; he’s a guy that can catch the football. He told me he could but I didn’t believe him. That’s great. Those plays came at critical moments. A lot of credit to Coach (Jon) Heacock and our defensive staff. That’s a really good offense that has been giving people a lot of trouble this season.”

On his comment to Ben Bruns at half that the team is acting like pretenders and not contenders:

“I think the biggest thing for me…this is a unique time of year in college football. You work 10 months to get to November to be in and play meaningful football games. We’ve worked very hard to shed the image that you can’t do that here. The reality of it is, we are grinding our way through it and yet your back is against the wall when you start 1-3. It has been since September. The reality of it is who are you, who are we, what are we about? You start to lose some games, you’re really a pretender because all of the work you put in is pretend. All the work you put in is pretend, because you were trying to be something and not do something. This football team has invested to try to do something, but that wasn’t us in the first half and what we’ve strived to do.”

On the special teams play Saturday:

“We weren’t good. To give up a blocked punt, they schemed us and did a great job. There wasn’t anything wrong; it wasn’t our kids. We have to do a better job and it starts with me as the head coach doing a better job of that. I thought there was some response and we did some good things. But for the third week in a row, there have been some major malfunctions on special teams that have cost either field position or touchdown. The credit goes to them. They made some great plays. We have to be better than that.”

On David Montgomery grinding his way to another 100-yard game:

“There were a lot of guys in the box and some different moments a lot of moving parts. He stayed the course. He’s violent. He’s a workhorse. We’re going to continue to give him the football. I’m really proud of him. When we needed him the most, he was able to rise up, especially in some of those critical situations in the red zone and goal-line areas.”

On reserve quarterback Zeb Noland’s status with the program:

“He was not with us and took a personal leave of absence this week. I don’t know where that is right now. He did nothing wrong and there was nothing in terms of anything else. We’ll have something definitive to that next week.”

On what it means to him as a coach and if he’s surprised the team continued to answer like it did:

“Obviously there is great coaching going on, but look at guys like Ray Lima, the way that Willie Harvey is playing right now as a senior, JaQuan (Bailey) has been consistent and Spencer Benton. Some of those guys are veterans and are playing the same position consistently on the football team. Then you know the character and work ethic they put into it. Surprise would maybe not be a fair term, because I believe in those kids and know what they stand for and what they’re about. It makes you feel good that they’re being rewarded for the time and effort that they have put in.”

On if he gets nervous seeing Purdy play with reckless abandon, given Noland’s tenuous situation:

“I love it. He’s going to keep playing that way, because that’s who he is. We’re really fortunate. We have really good depth here, whether Zeb chooses to be with us or not. We’ve got some really good players and a senior leader that’s one of the best leaders in our program. I feel really comfortable with where we’re at. I love Zeb and what he’s about and what he stands for. We’ll see what decision he chooses to make.”

On if Kempt was available to play:

“Yes, he was.”

“I think so much today was way more about the coverage. Obviously, it was a really good play by JaQuan, but the coverage today in certain situations today was outstanding. Guys were doing a great job of covering down the field and letting those guys work. That was certainly a huge situation on that play. JaQuan was relentless in getting to the ball, but the coverage has to get a lot of credit for it. I think that was a coverage sack.”

On the status of defensive end Enyi Uwazurike:

“I don’t know the answer to it. I don’t think it’s anything long-term. I couldn’t even tell you what the injury is right now.”

On if the offensive line took a step backwards today:

“Until we look at the film, we’ll see. There was a lot of pressure and a lot coming at them. Whether it was pressure or them bringing more than we could handle it at times, we’ll look and see. I don’t know if we took a total step back today. I thought those kids fought through it too.”

On what he saw of Purdy’s fumble in the end zone that was recovered by Texas Tech:

“It was my fault. I put them in a bad situation. We had a chance to make a play down the field. That’s bad coaching. It’s my fault. I took ownership of it, which I should have. We moved forward. I put them in a really bad spot, so give them more credit for overcoming bad coaching.”

On Kamilo Tongamoa getting some offensive reps:

“It was good. His story sort of parallels to our team. You could easily have been frustrated when you’re not playing. Mike (Warren) is very similar and he got dinged up, otherwise he would have played more today. Those are guys that have just kept grinding away and earning trust in their coaches. They’re helping us when we need them the most. They’re stepping up in powerful situation. I’m really proud of Kamilo, because the journey hasn’t always been easy but he’s stayed the course. He’s been loyal to his teammates and himself.”

Reactions: Cylent and r_rich_r
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News