ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Martin Talks Iowa State Commitment

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Harper Woods (Mich.) Chandler Park Academy wide receiver Jalen Martin was one of three high school seniors to choose the Cyclones during a busy night of recruiting in which Matt Campbell’s staff secured three verbals.

The 6-foot-2, 192-pound Martin admits to not knowing much about Iowa State heading into his weekend visit, which started on Saturday, but came out of it knowing Ames is where he wanted to be.

“I had a great experience on my visit,” said Martin. “I went into it not really knowing what to expect, because I didn’t know too much about it. But when everything was said and done, I knew this was the place I wanted to be. The fan base is outrageous and it felt like a family environment. That’s where I could see myself.”

Martin said he was impressed with the academic side of things, as well as his potential to succeed on the gridiron.

“The support system is outrageous and like no other. It’s almost unreal. The academics are great. They have a lot of people lined up to make sure that you succeed, with extra help and extra tutors. It was amazing.

“I also really enjoyed meeting with (wide receivers coach Bryan) Gasser. He pulled out an iPad and we were breaking down film talking about some things. That really stood out to me. They want me to play outside receiver, but I’m flexible enough to move into the slot as well.”

After discussing things over with his family yesterday, Martin announced to the staff his decision.

“I talked it over with my family and made the call. I can’t wait to get down there and work as hard as I can to put myself in position to be successful.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News