ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING LB Campbell Eyes Spring Decision

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Three schools continue to stand out at the top for a Class of 2019 in-state linebacker with eyes on an April decision.

Cedar Falls junior Jack Campbell said he’s seen and heard a lot from the Cyclones of late, as he is preparing to make a commitment in the spring.

“It’s still the same and we’re still talking quite a bit,” said Campbell, who is also considering offers from Iowa and Minnesota. “They’ve come to five of my basketball games and also keep in contact as much as possible. I’m making my decision in early April. Me and my family have decided that that’s a perfect time. We’ve been talking quite a bit.”

Among the I-State coaches to catch Campbell on the basketball court this season are head coach Matt Campbell, defensive and offensive coordinators Jon Heacock and Tom Manning, and assistants Tyson Veidt, Eli Rasheed, Bryan Gasser, Nate Scheelhaase, Alex Golesh and Derek Hoodjer.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Campbell said the Cyclones’ presence this winter has made quite an impression on him.

“It’s pretty cool, knowing they’re driving all that way and giving time out of their day just for me,” he said. “It makes me feel pretty good and I appreciate it. They keep doing what they’ve been doing and keeping in contact. They’re telling me how I can fit in to their defense and what I can give to the program.”

Campbell said he’ll likely return the favor in a few days when he heads down to Ames for a basketball game and visit with the football staff.

“I might try to make it this Saturday against Oklahoma,” he said. “I’ll probably be a little late, but will try to get down there for the basketball game. I’ve told Coach Veidt I’m going to try to make it.”

While he’s received some interest from other Power-5 programs in the Big 10, Campbell said he’ll likely be making a decision between his primary three schools in a couple months.

“Right now, it’s probably just Iowa State, Iowa and Minnesota,” he said. “Me and my family keep talking and want to make this decision. In the summer, since it’s my last summer, that way we can kind of enjoy it together. I’ve been given the opportunity from three pretty amazing universities and all the coaching staffs are pretty amazing.”

Asked what in particular stands out about the Cyclones over the other two schools on his list, Campbell said it’s the way ISU’s program has developed under a new staff.

“I really like Coach Campbell with the new culture,” he said. “They do things in a newer style and that’s kind of cool. I like that every time I’ve gone to a practice, it’s a bunch of guys doing what they love and having fun. No one seems to be down. They’re always having fun up there and have won some pretty big football games, so it shows that it’s working.”

Reactions: 19Cy78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News