ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING LB Boyd Headed to Junior Day

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A Class of 2017 linebacker prospect from one of the top large-school programs in the Lone Star State will be on campus this weekend getting his first look at Iowa State.

Katy junior Breydon Boyd, who played a key role in his team’s Class 6A Division II state championship and number one overall ranking in the country by MaxPreps.com, said he’ll be looking at one thing in particular when he makes the trek to see the lone Power 5 program he has an offer from at this point.

“I’m very interested in Iowa State,” said Boyd. “They have a good coaching staff. I’m looking forward going up there and meeting them in person. A big thing for me is the family atmosphere, because that’s how it is at my high school. They treat you like family and that’s a big part of it.”

Many recruits rave about the new upgrades and improvements they’ve seen online about ISU, but that’s not the case with the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Boyd.

“Facilities aren’t really a big deal for me, because I don’t really care about it,” he said. “You put your football equipment down and pick it up in the same place, so it doesn’t matter. I’m looking forward to meeting the coaching staff, getting to know them, getting to know my position coach and seeing the academics. After college and hopefully after I make the NFL, I’ll be able to have a good backup plan with a good degree and college behind my degree.”

Boyd, who also has FBS offers from Fresno State, Colorado State and Texas State, said the Cyclones are looking at him to play at a number of spots.

“They like that I’m a very versatile linebacker and can play both position inside and outside,” Boyd said. “They haven’t really told me much, but just that my aggressiveness and how I play will get me far.”

In addition to his four offer schools, Boyd has been getting recruited by Power-5 programs such as Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Washington, where he’ll take a Junior Day visit next weekend.

In anticipation for a banner senior season, Boyd said he would like to get a decision made in the coming months.

“My head coach wants me to get it done before my senior season, so I can focus on my senior season and getting another ring,” he said. “I haven’t really come down to what school’s first and what school’s second, because I’m focused on getting bigger and better for next season.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News