ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING LA LB Says I-State Official is Set

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A three-star linebacker from the west coast plans to pick from the schools he takes visits to, and Iowa State is one of those presently in the mix.

Los Angeles (Calif.) Cathedral senior Halid Djibril will take his second official visit of the process to Ames the weekend of December 1st. He’s been recruited by a pair of coaches on the Cyclones’ staff and likes what he’s heard.

“I’ve talked quite a bit with Coach (D.K.) McDonald and Coach (Tyson) Veidt,” said Djibril. “They want me to come up there and play either linebacker or nickel, that hybrid type of position. Both of them say I have a high motor and am very good at getting from one sideline to the other sideline. I’m very mobile, pretty much.”

The 6-foot-1, 181-pound Djibril has a 5.7 Rivals rating, making him a borderline four-star prospect by Rivals. In addition to I-State, he has Power-5 offers from Boston College, Colorado, Illinois, Oregon State, Utah, Washington, Washington State, USC and Vanderbilt.

“They can’t wait for me to come up there for my official visit, which will be the weekend of December 1st. They’ve sent me some videos of the campus, weight room and players. I like it and it’s pretty neat. I’m excited to get out there and see how everything works out. I’m looking to see how much it feels like home to me. I want to feel at home wherever I go to college.”

Djibril said the schools he visits will be the ones with the best shot of landing him, and that he’ll take one of five allotted officials to ISU.

“They can’t wait for me to come up there for my official visit, which will be the weekend of December 1st,” Djibril said. “They’ve sent me some videos of the campus, weight room and players.

I like it and it’s pretty neat. I’m excited to get out there and see how everything works out. I’m looking to see how much it feels like home to me. I want to feel at home wherever I go to college.”

With the Cyclones turning things around in year two under head coach Matt Campbell, Djibril said he’s become even more intrigued with the program.

“I like watching their defense play,” he said. “They’re very dynamic on that side of the ball. I think I could fit in there and play a big role. They’re building a good program there and have had some good wins against Oklahoma and TCU.”

Djibril will take his first official visit of the process to Washington State this weekend, and will follow up his ISU trip with another official to Washington starting December 8th. The linebacker took a game-day visit to USC this past weekend for the UCLA game.

“My five schools I’m taking visits to are the schools I’ll be choosing from,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News