ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Kent Ready to Visit Ames Again

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Although he had been on campus the past two summers for Iowa State camps and under the previous staff’s microscope, it wasn’t until Matt Campbell took over that a 2017 tight end prospect from Kansas started getting recruited heavily by the Cyclones.

Pittsburg three-star recruit Trevor Kent, the 20th-ranked strongside defensive end in next year’s class, said he’s heard from ISU several times in recent months and will be on campus this weekend for an Elite Junior Day.

“They contacted me right after they got there and Coach (Tyson) Veidt, the linebackers coach and Kansas recruiter, started talking to me,” said Kent. “Then a bunch of other coaches started contacting me. I talked to Coach Campbell on the phone and he offered me a full-ride scholarship the third week he was there. I’ve been hearing from them a lot and it’s impressed me.

“They’ve blown out every other college in the recruiting aspect, just with the amount they talk to me. Coach Campbell will message me or have me call him at least once a week. I hear from multiple coaches and sometimes multiple coaches in a single day, and I get the chance to talk to them almost every single day. They’re doing an amazing job of recruiting.”

I-State has also sent an assistant coach in-school to see Kent during an evaluation period.

“Coach (Jim) Hofher came down and was able to observe me while I was lifting weights, since he can’t talk to me in person,” Kent said. “He talked to my football coach for a little bit while watching me work out.”

It’s easy to see why the Cyclones are pursuing the 6-foot-4, 240-pound Kent with such vigor, as the junior already has Power-5 offers from the likes of Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Missouri and Northwestern.

This will be a big weekend for Campbell’s staff, as it’s set to host Kent and a few other top recruits on unofficial visits.

“I’m coming up this weekend for an Elite Junior Day just for their offer guys,” Kent said. “We’re all coming up for the basketball game and we’re going to tour the campus and facilities. I’m anxious to see the campus a little more, since I’ve already seen most of the football facilities. And then I’m excited to meet the entire coaching staff. I’ve seen what they did at Toledo and it’s really impressive.”

Kent said he has no favorites at this point in the process.

“I’m still pretty much open to all of them, since it’s pretty early in my recruiting,” Kent said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News