ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING KC Area Defender Visiting I-State

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

During his introductory press conference as head coach at Iowa State, Matt Campbell laid out a four-hour footprint recruiting plan and that’s already in action for the Class of 2017. One of the recruits in that radius is Overland Park (Kan.) St. Thomas Aquinas defensive end/linebacker Angel Dominguez, who was offered by the Cyclones last month.

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Dominguez said he’s hearing frequently from ISU and is looking forward to his trip to Ames for an Elite Junior Day this weekend.

“The coaches are talking to me about every day,” said Dominguez. “I’m going up there this Saturday for an unofficial visit and get to see the Texas game. I’m looking forward to meeting all of the coaches for the first time and meeting with Coach (Eli) Rasheed, the defensive line coach, and having him tell me what they’re about and how the line goes. I also want to check out the campus, since I’ve heard its beautiful up there. This is my first time on campus, so I’m pretty excited.”

Although he has since received an offer from Northern Illinois, Dominguez said it was I-State that got the ball rolling in his recruitment in January.

“I got offered by Iowa State about a month ago,” he said. “My head coach called me that morning and told me I had gotten my first DI offer. I was ecstatic and called Coach Campbell and talked to the entire coaching staff. I’m loving it. He said I can make a big impact on the defense. They saw my tape and had to offer me.”

Since then, it’s been Campbell and assistant Alex Golesh doing much of the legwork.

“I’m hearing the most from Coach Campbell and Coach Golesh,” Dominguez said. “Coach Campbell is a great dude and we’ve built a good relationship. He’s a really good coach and I like the way he talks to his players. I haven’t really talked to other head coaches as much as I have Coach Campbell.

“I also talk to Coach Golesh all the time and we have a great relationship. They want me to make a big impact on the defensive line and make a lot of sacks up there.”

Dominguez said he’s also hearing frequently from Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Arkansas and Florida State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News