ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING JUCO Lineman Sees Cyclone Coach

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

It’s been a remarkable turn of events for a JUCO offensive lineman from northern California, who admits he was ready to walk away from the game of football after his freshman season.

Pleasant Hill Diablo Valley JUCO product John Vaka didn’t have any offers coming out of high school, and after taking a two-year leave from the game for a Mormon mission in St. Louis, Missouri, he wasn’t getting much interest during his first year back in the game either.

But what had been an unwelcome change at first – moving to the Diablo Valley offensive line – has netted some big results.

“This past football season I was actually thinking about not playing anymore,” said Vaka. “I started the season playing a different position and they moved me to a position I didn’t really want to play. At the end of the season I thought about putting up the cleats, but I started getting all these calls from different coaches.

“It’s funny how things work out. It’s a really cool experience to have schools wanting you to come play for them. Iowa State was the first school that offered me a scholarship and I’ll never forget that.”

The 6-foot-5, 285-pound Vaka also had not been into social media much, but credits Twitter for opening up doors that led the Cyclones to come calling.

“I don’t really know how Iowa State found me, but the first contact I’ve had with them was through Twitter,” he said. “I didn’t have one before the season, but my coach had me create an account because that’s how you get in touch with coaches.

“With the NCAA rules, that’s one of the only ways they can get in contact with you. So I made one and Iowa State was one of the first ones to get in contact with me. I talked with Coach (Alex) Golesh over the phone and he’s a great guy. He offered me a scholarship a few months ago.”

Since then, he has had multiple conversations with Golesh and offensive line coach Tom Manning.

“They’re both really cool guys,” Vaka said. “They’ve told me how much offensive linemen are a big need for all colleges and how much I’d fit into the program given how athletic I am. They like my long limbs. They’re excited to hopefully get the chance to work with me.”

Following ISU, Brigham Young, Central Florida, Idaho and Cincinnati followed suit with offers of their own.

Vaka’s interest from the Cyclones increased even more this week with a spring evaluation period visit from Manning.

“I saw him (three) days ago,” Vaka said. “He went to my school on Monday. He had to go catch his flight to San Francisco, so he couldn’t stay long.”

The JUCO freshman said he’s nowhere near making a decision on his future destination, as he’s concentrating on finals and remaining in position to graduate in December.

Vaka said he’s planning to take an unofficial visit to Ames this summer.

Reactions: Chester90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News