ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL RECRUITING Joiner Excited About ISU Offer

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A three-star combo guard from Chicago showed Iowa State's Steve Prohm all that he needed at an AAU tournament in South Carolina last weekend and picked up an offer from the head coach.

Curie Class of 2017 standout Elijah Joiner was competing with Team Rose at the Summer Havoc in Spartanburg, South Carolina, under the watchful eye of Prohm.

"Coach Prohm had called me Sunday night on my way home to Chicago," said Joiner. "We were just having a conversation about how I played over the weekend, and then out of nowhere he said I played well and that I had a scholarship offer from them. I was confused, real shocked and excited."

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Joiner showed the Cyclone head coach what he looks for in guards that can handle the ball.

"He liked the way I was a leader, scored the basketball and competed on both ends," Joiner said. "We had been talking for a pretty long time and I guess I just played well and impressed him a whole lot more when he saw me this time."

Joiner also has offers from the likes of Toledo, Saint Louis, Ball State, St. Bovanenture, Buffalo, Duquesne, UAB, Illinois-Chicago, DePaul and Bradley, among others.

He got familiar with the Cyclones' playing style last year and liked what he saw.

"I love their playing style," Joiner said. "They get after it up and down the court. They play in front of an exciting atmosphere. They're always on TV. I always catch Iowa State on TV when I'm watching college basketball. Their guards are real gritty and crafty; they pick up a whole lot of full-court pressure."

Although he would like to sign with his future school in the early period, Joiner said he'll wait if necessary.

"Right now I'm just enjoying the process," he said. "I want to make my decision before my senior season, but if I'm not ready I'll take as much time as I need."

Joiner indicated that he plans to take an official visit to ISU in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News