ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING James Staying Solid to Iowa State

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Since becoming Iowa State’s second commitment in the 2019 class last December, an Arizona prep athlete has turned his attention on having a banner senior season and recruiting other future players to Ames.

Gilbert (Ariz.) Perry wide receiver/quarterback D’Shayne James chose the Cyclones just eight days after Iowa prep offensive lineman Jake Remsburg got the ball rolling on the 2019 recruiting cycle. Like Remsburg, James has been working on recruits he knows well throughout the area.

“I’ve been trying to convince (Perry teammate) Brayden Rohme to come up there,” said James. “I’m showing him some love from an Iowa State point of view. I’m trying to get him to see the great parts of Iowa State that they have to offer. I also went up there with Dez Melton and we were hip-and-hip going up there to see the spring practice. He’s another big target, too.”

The rising senior has also been a frequent visitor to I-State since committing nearly eight months ago.

“I think I’ve been up there four times,” James said. “I went to a camp up there. I saw the entire campus multiple times. I’ve hung out with most of the players and talked to most of them. I saw a bunch of the 2019 class that’s coming in. We have a group chat going and a lot of the guys seem really cool. I’ve been up there quite a bit and every time I go up there I fall in love with it even more.”

Outside of his recruiting efforts, James’ attention has been on his team. Most recently that’s been in Show Low, Arizona, for an offseason program.

“I think our team is really looking up,” he said. “We lost a lot of seniors last year, but at the same time we have a lot of juniors from last season that started in positions or playing backup. On offense and defense, we’re going to be really strong. We’re all kind of gelling right now, as we’re at camp and this is the time to do it.”

The plan isn’t set yet on where James will be playing this fall. He’s likely to be his team’s top pass catcher but has also played under center in the past. Perry also has current Cyclone freshman Brock Purdy’s younger brother coming up in the ranks as a junior.

“I know they’ve got a good plan for us and our team,” James said. “Personally, me playing both quarterback and receiver will help us a lot more than just me staying at one individual spot. I think the (run-pass options) that we run, I will be set in place for that. Coaches love using my legs.

“Also, a little bit of the pass game in some of the deeper balls we have and longer pass sets. I know (Chubba Purdy) has a really strong arm and can get the job done, but when it comes down to it and we need a first down, with the RPOs and my deep-throwing ability the coaches will put me in at quarterback.”

In order to prepare himself for his final high school season, James has taken his offseason conditioning seriously.

“I’ve been able to work on both the receiver and quarterback sides,” he said. “I’m hitting the weights, doing a lot of running and working with my uncle LaVell to get my footwork right. Individually, I’m working on both parts of my craft.

“Definitely my route running (is getting a lot of work). When I went up there for a camp at Iowa State, the routes that we ran were a little bit different but that little difference meant a lot. I’m working on those little differences that the coaches see that they’re trying to get me to work on up there and transform those into my game this year as a senior.”

James, who will be a December graduate that plans to be on the ISU campus during the second semester, said he has yet to schedule his official visit to Ames.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News