ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ISU Recruiting ATH Hallock for LB

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State became the first offer early this year for a Class of 2019 athlete from the state of Michigan and hosted the prospect on an unofficial visit during spring ball.

Forest Hills Central junior Tate Hallock, whose older brother Tanner plays at Michigan State and whose father Ty also competed for the Spartans prior to spending time for three NFL teams, made the trip to Ames to experience ISU for the first time.

“Things are going well with Iowa State,” said Hallock. “I went down there over my spring break and saw a practice. I like the staff a lot. The facilities looked very nice to me. I liked the stadium and it was big. The weight room and indoor practice facility were great. The jerseys were sweet and they’re getting some new ones that look really cool.

“The whole campus was a different setting for me, more of like the country style but it’s big and I liked it a lot. The apartments where you stay are pretty cool and you have an actual apartment instead of a dorm where other people stay.”

Hallock said the trip to I-State opened his eyes a little to another Power-5 team than the one he grew up following in East Lansing.

“It changed a lot (of my perceptions),” he said. “I didn’t really think it would be that big. I’ve grown up going to Michigan State. My dad played there and my brother plays there now. I thought Michigan State was big and they’re up there too. That was really surprising to see how big it was. There’s no pro team in Iowa, so it’s either Iowa or Iowa State. That’s pretty cool too.”

Hallock, who is listed as a two-star wide receiver in the Rivals database, is actually being targeted to play on the defensive side by the Cyclones.

“I think it would end up being outside linebacker,” Hallock said. “They like that I’m tall and have length. I have speed for how tall I am. I’m an athlete and can move pretty well.”

ISU picked up its pursuit of Hallock in January and would eventually become his first offer. Since then, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Toledo and Western Michigan have followed suit.

“It started out with Joe Schaefer, who had been the recruiting guy, coming to our school one day and talked to me during one of my classes for about five minutes,” Hallock said.

“He just wanted to just see what was up with me. He called the coaches that day and later on I got a text from Coach (D.K.) McDonald wanting to talk to me more about Iowa State. He talked to Coach (Matt) Campbell and the next day they called my coach and offered me.”

The defensive prospect said he is targeting a decision for prior to his senior season and is undecided on a future I-State visit.

“I’m keeping in touch,” he said. “I don’t know if I’ll go again because of lacrosse and I’m busy with a bunch of stuff and can’t get out too much. The next time I’ll probably be there is during the summer or fall for a game. I have made a little list that I haven’t released. It’s not finalized or anything. Iowa State is definitely in that list of schools.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News