ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ISU Official Visit Possible for ATH Killins

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A Sunshine State athlete continues to think highly of the Iowa State program, especially the defense in which he’s being recruited to, and says an official visit is likely for this fall.

Port Orange Spruce Creek rising senior Travon Killins, whose older brother Adrian was recruited by the Cyclones prior to landing at UCF, said he’s still being courted by the staff in Ames.

“Things are good with Iowa State and I talked to Coach (D.K.) McDonald not too long ago,” said Killins. “I have a lot of interest in Iowa State and they’re one of my top schools. He told me they would love to get me up there sometime on campus. He said the type of defense they run fits me very well. They think I would be the perfect cornerback to fit into their system.”

The 6-foot-0, 175-pound Killins admits he is a college football junkie and has spent a lot of time seeing the Cyclones play, even before he was offered during his junior season.

“I have watched Iowa State a lot on TV,” he said. “(McDonald and I) were talking about how they did last season. I watched them in the bowl game against Memphis. Coach McDonald said they run a lot of man coverage.

“Plus, the Big 12 is a conference that they put the ball in the air a lot. They like the strengths that I bring to the table, in that I can stop the pass a lot, am a great covering cornerback and can come up and make tackles. (McDonald) told me I would definitely fit in at the cornerback spot. He’s looking for a cornerback that can do a lot of things. I could also play a little bit of Nickel.”

In addition to ISU, Killins also has a Power-5 offer from Minnesota. Arkansas State, Idaho, Marshall, Memphis and Southern Miss have offered from the G5 ranks.

The two-way standout said the Cyclones rank as highly as any of those schools.

“I don’t have any specific top schools, because every single school that has offered me I have 100 percent interest in,” Killins said. “But I would say that Iowa State…I have a lot of interest in. I have strong interest, just seeing what they do. I feel comfortable when the coaches talk to me, because they’re very honest with me. I would feel comfortable playing in a system like Iowa State’s.”

Killins said the odds are good he’ll be heading to Ames in the coming months.

“I want to take an official visit during the fall,’ he said. “We have been talking about planning one but haven’t made our minds up on an exact date. Most definitely I will be getting up to Iowa State.”

The Florida athlete said he’s planning an unofficial visit to Memphis next Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News