ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ISU Offer a Game-Changer for DE

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Although he’s committed to a MAC school, an Ohio Class of 2017 defensive end said it was a game-changer when he received his first offer from a Power-5 school earlier this week. The school that opened the door was Iowa State.

King High School senior Dan Sichterman said he received the news from the Cyclone coaching staff on Monday after opening their eyes during the beginning stages of his senior season.

“After the first two games, the coaches said they had watched my film,” said Sichterman, who is committed to Ball State. “The recruiting director and defensive staff watched it, and then Coach (Matt) Campbell watched it. I’ve been in contact with a few of the coaches in the past week. I camped with them when they were at Toledo, so I already know a few of them.

“I got in contact with Coach Campbell after my third game, they had watched my three-game highlights, and that’s when I heard I got my offer. It was something I was really hoping for, because of all the work I put in this off-season to play at a high level. Talking to him…I got what I wanted to hear.”

When he committed to the MAC school, Sichterman reportedly had offers from Air Force, UConn, Eastern Kentucky and other Ivy League programs.

The 6-foot-3, 235-pound defensive end said he got to work this offseason to try to change his recruiting profile and garner more interest.

“You hear a lot about guys that are great their sophomore and junior years, but then they’re more of the same their senior years,” Sichterman said. “I’ve worked really hard to get to this point, to get bigger Power-5 offers. I gained 35 pounds going into this season, am playing the run better and have cut my speed. They like to see that. It was a change from what they saw earlier in my career. They like that I play with a high motor.”

Upon receiving the offer from I-State, Sichterman alerted BSU that he’s opened up his recruitment and will be on the ISU campus in the coming weeks.

“I’m definitely going to take a visit as soon as I can,” he said. “It will probably be within the next two or three weeks. I’ve been open with the Ball State coaches, just telling them that I’m reviewing my options to figure out what’s best for me. I’m going to be out for an Iowa State home game soon, either for a game-day visit or official.”

Sichterman said he hopes to visit either for the San Jose State game on September 24th or Baylor contest on October 1st.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News