ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ISU Continues to Prioritize Peterson

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State has been in the picture for several months with a three-star defensive end in the Class of 2019, and hopes to be on top once the prospect announces his decision this spring.

Beresford (S.D.) junior Blake Peterson said he’s grown closer with the staff in Ames, which could pay dividends once he picks a school.

“I really like Iowa State a lot,” said Peterson. “I’m in contact with pretty much all the coaches a lot recently. We have a really great relationship right now. I’m going to try to get down there this spring sometime, as my other sports will allow.

“I’m going to have a decision before summer. My top four or five schools are Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas State, Michigan State and Wyoming. There’s no order in there. I’m definitely getting closer to making my decision.”

A pair of coaches from the Cyclones’ staff made the latest recruiting pitch to the 6-foot-4, 235-pound Peterson a few weeks ago. Although Peterson won’t be able to make ISU’s big recruiting event on Saturday, he said he hopes to attend a spring practice.

“There’s not one thing they’re really trying to sell me on,” he said. “They’ve shown me a lot and I like a lot of stuff about them. We’re just staying in touch. Coach (Matt) Campbell and Coach (Eli) Rasheed came up to my school the day before the dead period. It was really cool to see them.

“They invited me (this weekend), but it’s our bull sale so I won’t be able to make it. Once basketball and stuff on the farm slows down, it will be a lot easier to get places. We’ve had a lot of Saturday afternoon practices.”

A three-star with a 5.6 Rivals rating, Peterson has offers from I-State, Minnesota, Wyoming, South Dakota and South Dakota State.

As he evaluates all of the schools in contact, he said a number of aspects stand out about the Cyclones.

“I like a lot of things about Iowa State right now,” he said. “I really like the coaching staff. What they say, they follow up and do. Everything they were telling me last spring, they came and they did this past season. Everything they’ve told me, they’ve followed through with that.

“A few other places, it hasn’t been quite that. It’s not like they’re just blatantly telling you other stuff and going around, but it’s just that everything Iowa State has said has come to fruition. They’ve been saying I’m their number-one guy at that defensive end spot for a while now. They’ve been talking about how they really want me for this class."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News